Merida Speeder 200/300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heddle the Pedal

Über Member
Am considering purchasing a Merida Speeder 200 or 300. LBS says the 300 is worth the extra price (£100). I'll use for daily commuting (c20 miles round trip) and occasional days away so rack is essential. My slight concern is whether it will take sufficient weight (say 120 kg my weight + 2 saddle bags) for a few days away. Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice to share about the bikes or their loading.

vickster

Legendary Member
Am considering purchasing a Merida Speeder 200 or 300. LBS says the 300 is worth the extra price (£100). I'll use for daily commuting (c20 miles round trip) and occasional days away so rack is essential. My slight concern is whether it will take sufficient weight (say 120 kg my weight + 2 saddle bags) for a few days away. Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice to share about the bikes or their loading.

How many spokes? The stock wheels are often the weak point on off the peg bikes.
links to the two bikes? What’s the difference between the two, why does the LBS say is better? It might be worth upgrading the wheels given your weight and the beating a bike will take on UK roads 20 miles a day. How wide can the tyres go? Go as wide as you can with mudguards.
Do Merida give a max weight for the wheels, often it‘s under 100kg (you will be bike weight + your weight + luggage). Of course you might be absolutely fine but you might ping spokes or put the wheel out of true more often

vickster

Legendary Member
I should say I don't weigh 120 kg - that's my weight + estimated weight of rack and laden bags.
I can't see anywhere what Merida recommend as max weight. V. frustrating!
LBS says the 300 has generally better components e.g. Tiagra gears on the 300 vs Sora on the 200.
https://www.merida-bikes.com/en-gb/frontend/bike/compare
Many thanks

You need to add the weight of the bike too, not just the luggage if you haven't.
Your link doesn't do anything but ahhh the Speeder is a flat bar.
Ask your LBS their views, Tiagra is notionally better than Sora, but Sora is fine for a commuter, consumable parts like chains and cassettes are cheaper too. Better brakes might be a reason to upgrade but they're the same Tektros.
Some good nonsense on the page... approx. weight 2022 kg :laugh:
No spoke count so again ask the LBS

Last edited:
Top Bottom