Mate SUV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Guru
https://www.mate.bike/pages/mate-suv

car-vs-bike.jpg

Mate have released a new cargo bike which seems very adaptable and looks fairly decent in my view. I have seen mixed reviews regarding their standard ebikes, and know that the 750kw throttle versions were all recalled. It'll be interesting to see how this does for them.

On reflection, maybe I should have put this in the cargo bike section.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
They should produce a more upmarket version called Chum.

where exactly does your mate go?
1725471996994.png

she's like: "um NOPE"

NickWi

Guru
At 49kg (without useful extras like lights, rack or mudguards) I'd love to see someone ride it uphill, particularly so when loaded with 2.2 kids and all their clobber.

Drago

Legendary Member
250w already laden with the weight of a small adult before a rider even climbs aboard or loads anything in the cargo box...I suspect it'll be easier than using legs alone, but won't be very easy.

OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Guru
Their standard ebikes are almost 30kg but their brand is all about big wheels & chunky frames and that doesn't come lightweight. It was what put me off going for one of their bikes a few years ago when I was looking at an electric.

Their standard ebikes are almost 30kg but their brand is all about big wheels & chunky frames and that doesn't come lightweight. It was what put me off going for one of their bikes a few years ago when I was looking at an electric.

Apart from the price I do quite like that chunky tyre look, and if I was to buy a cargo bike I would like a trike with the twin wheels at the front but at £5500 its well above my price range.

OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Guru
Apart from the price I do quite like that chunky tyre look, and if I was to buy a cargo bike I would like a trike with the twin wheels at the front but at £5500 its well above my price range.

Aye it's pricey alright. If I think of all the bikes (?), kids seats (2), cargo trailers (3), kid carrying trailers (2), dog trailers (2), tandems (2) etc that I've bought between the birth of my children and the 10 years that followed, although it wouldn't be £5k, it mightn't be that far off all considered. A decent cargo bike at the very start would've saved me a lot of hoking about for solutions and transport options.

If it could be bought via a cycle to work scheme, the savings would be huge.