Manchester Velodrome - Anyone know the area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife and I are flying over from Belfast for the UCI Track Cycling World Cup in Manchester at the end of the month. We were lucky enough to get tickets for all 3 days - 1 day sitting in the home straight, 1 day standing and last day sitting on the back straight!

Does anyone here know the area around the Velodrome (Stuart Street, off Alan Turing Way). Each day is split into 2 sessions and we won't be driving, so will not be heading back into the city centre between sessions. Is there handy to go for a drink or a meal?

We will be getting the bus from Piccadilly Gardens each day (our hotel is there) and same back at night, unless the area around the velodrome is a bit dodgy.

Any help or advice from locals or those in the know would be much appreciated!

There's not much in the immediate area.

There is an ASDA next door which has a cafe and you can always buy stuff and take it back to the velodrome. Oh, theres a McDonalds too.

You can walk from Piccadilly in around 30-40 mins if you fancy it, get on the Ashton canal at Gt Ancoats St and it takes you straight there. Get a cab/bus at night though.

Tharg2007

Veteran
cheadle hulme said:
You can walk from Piccadilly in around 30-40 mins if you fancy it, get on the Ashton canal at Gt Ancoats St and it takes you straight there. Get a cab/bus at night though.

yes, not an area to walk around in from dusk onwards.

wafflycat

To confirm the Velodrome is not in a particularly nice part of town in many ways. Having been to there several times, it's not an area I would want to be hanging around in at night if I was on my own, or even in a small group.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's the only part of the world where i've been propositioned by a prozzy at 9 in the morning (or indeed any other time).

cue some mumbled excuse about having to get to work. of course i wish i'd said "you couldn't afford me love"…

OP
OP
dmoan

dmoan

Guru
Thanks for the replies - does anyone know if there is a taxi rank there? I presume the vast majority of spectators will be jumping into their cars and heading for home. Could get fairly lonely hanging about waiting for a bus late at night!

Tharg2007

Veteran

trio25

Über Member
Last time I was at an event at the velodrome we walked back into Manchester, there were a few of us about so it was fine, also a few at bus stops. It's not the best area, but a little common sense and you'll be fine.

Saying that I usually ride there which is my prefered method of transport.

atbman

Veteran
Last time I went was the first time I used the bus. Got on the one recommended and asked how near he went to the Velodrome.

"Where's that?" he said. A couple of weeks after the Olympics!

OP
OP
dmoan

dmoan

Guru
Thanks again for all the replies.

We're sensible enough and, being from Belfast, have a fairly well-developed trouble radar.

We'll try out the bus service there and back (route 236, I think) on the Friday and see how we get on. But I'll stick a couple of mini-cab numbers into my phone if it 'feels' a bit dodgy.

On a lighter note - is anyone else going? Bit disappointed that Chris Hoy isn't racing but it should be great all the same!

Press release from British Cycling:

OLYMPIC STARS NAMED FOR MANCHESTER TRACK CYCLING WORLD CUP
14 October 08

UCI Track Cycling World Cup - Manchester organiser British Cycling Events has today announced that a host of Olympic stars will be riding at the event from 31 October to 2 November at Manchester Velodrome.

British Olympic heroes Steven Burke, Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Chris Newton, Ross Edgar, Jamie Staff, Jason Kenny, Wendy Houvenahgel and Victoria Pendleton, will be joined by rivals such as Teun Mulder (Netherlands), Walter Perez (Argentina) and Lesya Kalitovsyka (Ukraine).

British Cycling Events director Peter King said: "We are really looking forward to seeing some of the world's top track cyclists in action at the Manchester Velodrome, which is the home of British Cycling."

Triple Olympic gold medallist Chris Hoy will not ride at the event, but will make special guest appearances on Friday 31 October and Sunday 2 November and will be available to sign autographs.

Top Bottom