London-ish newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Hi all,

Ended up here following a link from a different forum I'm on posted by someone who's on here too. I've been looking for a reasonably active and friendly cycling forum for a bit (well, a year, but not very avidly) and figure this might be it.

Probably a fairly standard path, I cycled around loads as a kid/teenager then did little more than own a bike through my 20's/30's and have got back in to it in my 40's. Initially it was a mix of necessity (the 2012 Olympics made my commute near impossible without cycling) and a wish to get fitter. Now it's just kind of what I do, and a speculative entry in to the 2014 Ride London Surrey 100 means it's something I figure I should do a bit better if I'm to finish and be happy.

The fitness side has worked, I'm probably fitter now than I've ever been, including my teen years. Although I'm still a bit of a lump.

Bike wise I started back with a second hand hardtail mongoose which I mucked about with a bit to make it more road friendly and then had stolen from where I worked. That was replaced with a cycle to work scheme purchase of a Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc and with the Ride London entry that has now been supplemented with another cycle to work scheme Cannondale Synapse Disc. I ride both fairly equally although the Sirrus is about to get a full drivetrain replacement to make up for the first 3500 miles wear and me not replacing the chain quickly enough.

Most of my riding is commuting, I live near Maidstone in Kent and drive to near the M25 with the bike in the boot, then cycle in the last bit. I have a few preferred parking points leaving me with a 16 mile, 12 mile or 7 mile ride in. I'm mostly doing the 16 mile ride with occasional 12 milers, the 7 mile ride is my 'I've been ill/I need to be home really early' option. I tend to commute by bike 4 days a week and ride in any weather all year round motivating myself by it being 'how I get to work'.

Aside from that I ride for leisure/training for the Ride London back monkey in the area around the North Downs, and down in to the Weald of Kent. Almost all of my cycling is solo aside from trips out with my wife who I've infected with the cycling bug. These have been sedate trips round rides like the Viking Trail, although a recent Croix de Fer purchase on her side of things means those might step up a bit this year.

I guess I'm hoping to be able to chat bicycle stuff with people, maybe pick some brains, that sort of thing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Most of my riding is commuting, I live near Maidstone in Kent and drive to near the M25 with the bike in the boot, then cycle in the last bit. I have a few preferred parking points leaving me with a 16 mile, 12 mile or 7 mile ride in. I'm mostly doing the 16 mile ride with occasional 12 milers, the 7 mile ride is my 'I've been ill/I need to be home really early' option. I tend to commute by bike 4 days a week and ride in any weather all year round motivating myself by it being 'how I get to work'.
Wecome,
Where do you park the car? Just inside the M25, somewhere near the A20 / A2 I guess?
I come in every day from Bexleyheath, and there are plenty of others on here who come in from around the A20 / A2 area.

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm slowly building up a collection of options, especially as my wife's new job is in Dartford so I can be 'thrown from the car' as she drives in.

My current preferred ride (and this mornings one) is to start in the middle of West Kingsdown, do the fast descent towards Farningham, climb up to Swanley then follow the road in through Foots Cray, Sidcup, Eltham, Kidbrooke, Greenwich. I can shorten that by starting in Swanley (handily still outside the LEZ) or Sidcup. I tend to head home down the A20 until I get to the edge of Sidcup, then swap over to the smaller roads.

I've also got a route in from Crayford for dropping the student off inside the Oyster zone, which is basically the A207 over the top of Shooters Hill.

We're looking at other options as we'd like somewhere we could park that would give my wife a 7 mile or so ride to Dartford and me still 16 miles or so to Greenwich (so probably Darenth somewhere...)

I'm easy to spot, I'm probably the only commuter in the SE region wearing a MET Parachute while riding a road bike (especially when on the Synapse). I'm afraid I fall pretty comfortably in to the Lone Wolf category when it comes to kit.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So you only go as far as Greenwich, lucky you! I go through Greenwich but carry on into town, it tends to get very busy with cyclists west of Greenwich, especially at this time of year.
One of the guys i work with rides with a full face helmet, there are quite a rare sight.

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I could go further, but it seems pointless as I work there :-)

The MET Parachute is mainly holes, so you don't notice the full faceness when you wear it and I figure I'm more likely to need my face protecting (as far as helmet protection goes) than anything else if I tumble so why not. Plus I've been riding motorbikes since I was 13 so the idea of a full face lid doesn't feel odd.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @w00hoo and :welcome:.

Excellent introduction.:thumbsup: I hope you like it round here.

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm out East Farleigh way, so every ride from my front door is either uphill, or promises uphill to get back again. We really like the Viking Trail out through Ramsgate (the student is at Broadstairs) and an inordinate amount of our cycling starts with the 50 minute drive out that way. Have sat in The Captain Digby on many occasions breaking the ride.

Top Bottom