Lon Las Cymru (was: Group/self guided tours in the UK)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

Über Member
Greetings cyclists!

I MIGHT have a few days in the UK in August, that I would like to fill with some crank revolutions in picturesque settings. I'd be fine with either a group ride or a self guided one, as long as the bike and some necessities are provided. Any first hand recommendations of companies and routes to consider?

Last edited:

Emanresu

Lots to choose from but it will depend on where you'll be starting from.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/routes

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Über Member
Thanks folks, I think I get the idea about the variety of the routes available - both of the above resources are great. Now the question is where do I get a bicycle. Preferably, it'd be a gravel/touring bike with at least a couple of panniers on the back, and maybe a handlebar bag - perfectly sufficient setup for the few days I'll have available. Any reputable companies that would hire this out to me?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It really, really depends on whereabouts you are. If you only have a few days then presumably you know where you'll need to be at the start and end of those few days. So it's no good - say - discovering a brilliant bike hire company in Inverness if you need to get to there and back from Portsmouth.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Über Member
It really, really depends on whereabouts you are. If you only have a few days then presumably you know where you'll need to be at the start and end of those few days. So it's no good - say - discovering a brilliant bike hire company in Inverness if you need to get to there and back from Portsmouth.

You're right of course. The trouble is that I don't know myself. The idea is that we'll do the narrowboating the whole family, then some of us will continue to the big city, and the me of us will continue cycling. And I'm not sure where will the narrowboating take place. I was thinking of Birmingham and thereabouts, but an idea of doing the Llangollen canal was also floated. So it may be that my question is a bit premature, or it may be that I'll just need to take a train to wherever the suitable bikes are available regardless of where I'll be at that point, and find a suitable route based on that.

Emanresu

There's plenty of bike hire about especially in tourist areas. For example, Rutland Water. Decide the area and then check with the local bike shops who will know who rents bikes. I know of 3 within 10 miles of my home.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think the answer to your question about mini tours with bike hire is "yes".

Just today I have popped into two bike shops that hire bikes. One in Exeter and one in Barnstaple. Off the top of my head I can think of three more locally. So decide where you want to go then look for your bike hire.

Have a great time!

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Über Member
We have a provisional location for the start/finish of our boat adventure - Whixall, Shropshire. So it seems that once we've returned the boat, my options are (sorted by preference):
1. Seek a bike rent somewhere nearby, leave my luggage with that person, take with me only what I need, do a self-guided self-supported 4 day trip then rejoin in London.
2. Find a bike tour operator nearby, do a tour with luggage transfer then rejoin in London.
3. Return to London with my family, then do either option 1 or 2 but out of London.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Über Member
Ok, I'm a bit fearful of jinxing it, but I think I found exactly, and I mean EXACTLY what I was looking for.

This here thing. A bike store that hires out a Surly Disc Trucker, with a rack, panniers can be provided, and they seem to be willing to deliver it to the Hereford train station, a mere 2 hours from the marina where we return our boat. Not only that, they are located near the Lon Las Cymru, which seems like a good place to spend a few days. Amazing. I already wrote to them, I hope we'll be able to make it work.

P.S. Should I mention that the above route constitutes a part of Eurovelo 2? No? Well, I won't then.

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Über Member
I'm incredibly hyped towards this vacation. Sure, part of it is just getting away from all the stuff that has accumulated throughout this year. But this starts to look like a dream vacation, regardless of that. It might be our last family vacation for a while, with Daniel joining the military in a month's time. We'll spend 2 days in London, then take a train to Whixall where my brother in law will join us. We'll sail along the beautiful vistas and through the amazing engineering features of the Llangollen. We'll then split, with Daniel flying off to cross the Alps on foot, and the others returning to London, while I'll take a train to Hereford, and from there a bus to Hay-on-Wye, meet the lovely folks at Drover cycles and start pedaling through the allegedly incredible views of Northern Wales. I might even learn to pronounce the words in Welsh, if not to actually understand any of them. It's not the next cycling journey I've envisioned a year ago, but like a smart man once said,

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you'll find
You get what you need

Last edited:

Alex321

Guru
I'm incredibly hyped towards this vacation. Sure, part of it is just getting away from all the stuff that has accumulated throughout this year. But this starts to look like a dream vacation, regardless of that. It might be our last family vacation for a while, with Daniel joining the military in a month's time. We'll spend 2 days in London, then take a train to Whixall where my brother in law will join us. We'll sail along the beautiful vistas and through the amazing engineering features of the Llangollen. We'll then split, with Daniel flying off to cross the Alps on foot, and the others returning to London, while I'll take a train to Hereford, and from there a bus to Hay-on-Wye, meet the lovely folks at Drover cycles and start pedaling through the allegedly incredible views of Northern Wales. I might even learn to pronounce the words in Welsh, if not to actually understand any of them. It's not the next cycling journey I've envisioned a year ago, but like a smart man once said,

No, you can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you'll find
You get what you need

From Hay on Wye, you won't be getting to North Wales in just a few days of cycling, if you need to return to Hay (which is a lovely place itself BTW). I would be surprised if you get further North than Machynlleth.

But it is all beautiful country around that area, with some lovely riding. Pretty hilly in places, though the Lon Las Cymru route in that area mostly follows the valley of the river Wye, so shouldn't be TOO bad.

There has been talk in the last few days of my local club (from Pontyclun 10 miles West of Cardiff) taking a trip up that direction, and cycling over two days from Rhayader to Aberystwith - roads I have driven a fair few times, but never ridden on (I have a sister in law living just outside Tregaron, and my stepson is just outside Machynlleth).

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Über Member
From Hay on Wye, you won't be getting to North Wales in just a few days of cycling, if you need to return to Hay (which is a lovely place itself BTW). I would be surprised if you get further North than Machynlleth.

I plan to ride one way, all the way to Holyhead, then return to Hartford by train.

Top Bottom