Lightweight rear rack for a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adrian.collins

Hi all
Having already 'ruined' this road bike by adding Raceblade mudguards :rolleyes: I am now considering also adding a lightweight rack for the rear.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?
Unfortunately, I do want the impossible - which is for it to be lightweight, look good (as far as rack goes at least) and of course, inexpensive!

I will only be using it for smallish items - normally clothes, or sometime to pick up a bag stuff from the shop while out on my bike
(this isn't my main bike, just something I picked up cheap recently, so using it as a winter bike for now)

Many thanks!

IMG_20240922_154243.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
I use a Tubus fly in stainless steel, it does everything from commuting to shopping to two pannier tours. I find the stainless steel version is best for me, it is available in black although I’ve not found the coated Black ones to last quite as long.

scragend

It looks like the bike doesn't have rack mounts at the top of the seat stays, so unless you do something like replace the seat post clamp with one that has rack mounts built in, or bodge it with P-clips round the seat stays (might break your "look good" criterion), something like the Topeak Beam Rack as mentioned above might be your best bet.

This kind of thing would be a bit cheaper than the Topeak, but the legs may foul the fittings for the mudguards.

Bike looks smart btw.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the Tortec ultralight in silver on my Ti bikes, very light.
I use p clips on another bike with no stay mounts (steel bike), worked perfectly for 12k miles so far.
Personally I don’t like the look of beam racks and they can move around

Emanresu

Ortlieb "Quick Rack". On an off in seconds with only two fixings to be kept in place. Expensive but saves having to carry the rack around when there is no need. Shop around to save a bit off RRP.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Doesn’t look like you have rack mounts, so you’ll be limited to P clips or a Beam rack as above.

Have you thought about a saddle bag - something like a Carradice or one of the newfangled bikepacking type? They don’t require racks.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You might want to look at the axel mounts for QR for securing the rack. How heavy are you talking about ? I managed 4 days off roading with P-Clips, but the rack moved about a fair bit, and the P-clips damaged the paint, despite tape under the P-clips.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I used to have an Altura Arran which worked well. I made the mistake of leaving it on when I sold the bike.

I've just bought a used one for £20 on ebay. They're a good option.

Top Bottom