Let me tell you a story.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bingo story

When I was 18 I had two part time jobs. One was in Gaffers health food café, clearing tables and sweeping up at the end of the day, the other was as a Barsteward in a Bingo Hall.

One of my colleagues, we shall call her Diana White, 34yo mother of 6, took a shine to me. She was lovely. She told me she’d split from her abusive husband. It wasn’t long before we embarked on an intimate physical relationship, meeting up after work for steamy sessions in the back of her car which she’d park in a dark corner of the bus terminal behind the bingo hall. On one occasion – in the days before CCTV and infra-red movement sensors – I left one of the rear fire exit doors ajar and we sneaked back in to the building and made out on the carpeted stage of the upstairs circle, by the light of the emergency EXIT lights and witnessed by 150 empty seats.

My Uncle, who was senior social worker, became aware of the relationship. He said; “You’re having it off with the wife of the most violent man in Hereford! Let me tell you a story. A few years ago Dave White was having an affair with his brother’s wife. The brother came home and caught them in bed. Dave’s response was to beat the shoot out of the brother, smash up the house and then smash every single window in the house. I suggest…” he said “… VERY strongly, that you stop seeing her before Dave finds out about it”.

I told Diana that I couldn’t see her any more. But she persuaded me to see her one last time. She planned to pick me up after work one night, we’d go to her house (Dave was living elsewhere she said) eight miles out of town and then she’d drop me home after. She was very persuasive.

She picked me up after work one night, we went to her house and we took all of our clothes off.

At which point someone started banging very violently on the front door.

“fark! It’s Dave!” As we frantically threw our clothes on she said; “Don’t worry, he’ll give up in a minute, he’ll go up the snicket and kick the back door in”. She was right, as the back door came off its hinges I was out the front door and up the road as fast as my legs could take me.

It was a freezing February night. I was dressed in the uniform of a barsteward, white shirt, black trousers and sensible shoes. Thinking I’d be travelling around in a car I hadn’t thought to bring a coat.

I got 100 yards up the street to the main road. And turned, expecting Dave to be on my tail. There was no one. The street was deserted and silent. I breathed a sigh of relief and set off towards town.

At which point I heard an engine start up and I turned to see the headlights came on on Dave’s car.

Weeks later I happened past the same spot and marvelled at the height of it, but somehow I managed to scale the 10ft hedge across the road and land on my feet on the other side in a muddy plowed field.

The car roared out of the close and sped off towards Hereford. I was absolutely shitting myself, and I set off in the general direction of home (eight miles away) in my white shirt and sensible shoes, across muddy fields, in almost complete darkness, clambering over spikey hedges and more or less following the main road while Dave’s car roared up and down the road searching for me.

Eventually the car stopped coming and I found my way out onto the road and traipsed the remaining miles into town – ready to jump over a hedge at any moment if I heard a car approaching from behind. Scratched to fark by brambles and covered in mud I eventually made it home in the small hours, frozen to the bone and exhausted.

A couple of days later Diana and I were on the same shift and she snuck up to me and said; “Where the fark did you get to? I came looking for you and you’d disappeared!”

Dave had gone straight to bed and crashed out drunk.

https://mickallan.wordpress.com/2021/04/23/example-post/

Top Bottom