Lenovo G50-30 keeps hanging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've got a Lenovo G50-30 which keeps hanging, everything freezes up including the mouse and the keyboard. I just use it for internet access.

If I'm listenting to BBC Sounds then the last word keeps repeating like a stuck record. If I'm watching a Facebook reel it just stops. The laptop has even frozen when I've just been paging down through Facebook (and possibly ebay as well, though I might be confusing that).

The problem occurs with both Firefox and Brave browsers so it's unlikely to be them.

I use 3 mobile broadband and live in an area with poor mobile phone reception. Is it possible that my laptop is freezing because of a bad broadband connection or is it more likely to be a hardware/software fault?

When you say freezes what exactly is happening? My old desktop a Dell Optiplex 790 (2011) will sometimes have a backgroundWindows process completely bork the system and I have to restart - I use Task Manager to see that its a Windows programme that has started hogging all the resources, the symptons will be programmes will fail to launch and anything already running will become very unresponsive.

You could try disconnecting it from the network and working offline to see if its internet, do you have any videos you can watch (Edit - while its disconnected I mean) for a bit to see if still breaks? Try having Task Manager running already to see what is running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
When you say freezes what exactly is happening? My old desktop a Dell Optiplex 790 (2011) will sometimes have a backgroundWindows process completely bork the system and I have to restart - I use Task Manager to see that its a Windows programme that has started hogging all the resources, the symptons will be programmes will fail to launch and anything already running will become very unresponsive.

You could try disconnecting it from the network and working offline to see if its internet, do you have any videos you can watch (Edit - while its disconnected I mean) for a bit to see if still breaks? Try having Task Manager running already to see what is running.

I should have said that my laptop is running Xubuntu 24.04. I can't use Task Manager as the keyboard is unresponsive.

The laptop continues to hang if the MIFI is turned off. This is something that has just started to happen recently. I'm beginning to wonder if my laptop is just worn out.

I should have said that my laptop is running Xubuntu 24.04. I can't use Task Manager as the keyboard is unresponsive.

The laptop continues to hang if the MIFI is turned off. This is something that has just started to happen recently. I'm beginning to wonder if my laptop is just worn out.

Ah I have no idea with xubunto, but if it's hanging with no wi fi on attack then yeah it might be worn out. Try a reinstall dog it first maybe?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hard drive or SSD going bad? Are there tools to probe it for storage errors? You could boot into a Live DVD or a USB distribution to bypass the internal storage and see if there's a difference.

Worth running RAM tests too.

Top Bottom