Latecomer to cycling says hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone
At the age of 59 I've taken up cycling. After supporting a friend on two etapes and the Fred Whitton challenge I decided to get a bike and have a go myself. I knew I was unfit so I have started off gradually which is difficult to do as I live in a very hilly area. Anyway, I underestimated my unfitness and now may have discovered a health problem which I have detailed in the Health and Fitness section in case anyone has come across it before.
I sincerely hope that I am fit enough to cycle as I have enjoyed the little I have done so far.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Dave

Well done getting back on the bike.:thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the problem you've suffered though.:sad:

I concur with the responses you've had over on the other thread so far: best to get a professional opinion as we can only guess at what the cause could be and wouldn't want to make things worse.

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Hi and welcome, really glad you have taken up cycling, you might not have noticed the health problem if not ? I might be wrong in assuming this as not read your other post.
But I'm with you in the taking up cycling at a later age (42 in my case) I have no goal = which for me is unusual, though I have a distance to cycle that includes a hill - so am treating that as my first goal.
I live in South Wales so have also got hills to contend with.. in fact I live on the side of what is locally referred to as a mountain (never sure if it truly qualifies) but it's steep enough to for sure. lol so cycling home is not going to happen for a while - for training I'm keeping my bike away from home and doing rides on the flat at first - with hills to follow - am lucky to have the coastal path to cycle on.

Hope you get on well with your cycling and see improvements - it seems having read around the board we'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast our fitness steps up to the challenge each time we ride. Would love to hear how you get on.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well done for taking up cycling again. Hope you get the all clear from your Dr. Welcome to the forum.

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
Welcome! :hello:

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome I was 56 when I got back on the bike and I also was not as fit as I would liked to have been but that was three years ago and well I am now far better and fitter etc spo good luck and if possible keep riding !

Top Bottom