Lanzarote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Currently holidaying in the Canaries , they have serious problems here ! Locals cannot afford to buy a home due to low wages . Nor pay rent on an appt . So I’m assuming here they are leaving the islands . Hotels appear to be short staffed , the bars and restaurants seem quite quiet . Granted UK schools are not off yet but the islands were an all year destination .
Brexit is partly to blame , you can’t even come work here on an yrs visa unless you have £50k in the bank and your own medical cover and a place to stay . The golden visas are very hard to get I guess unless you’re loaded !
I now can see why the news was showing protests etc . They are going to extend tourist taxes etc but can’t help feel they are kicking the can down the road and not addressing the issue . Plenty land round here but no money in building social housing etc !

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Low wages, Brexit, visas, housing, protests and work related issues. Sounds like this might be heading for NaCA territory?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I was in Lanzarote early June (Playa de los Pocillos) it was pretty busy, hotels and bars where full and no shortage of staff as far as I can see. Playa Del Carmen was extremely busy too as was Arricife.

We went to Rancho Texas one evening and it was sold out with a couple of hundred people. Teguise Market was rammed. With people having trouble getting busses there was so many waiting.

Not disagreeing with you but perhaps you are on a different part of the Island where it may be different..

I saw the repots on the news before I went there thinking we may see some sort of action somewhere but saw none.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
A debate is inevitable hence the NCAP suggestion...

NCAP isn't as awful as it's made out to be, but it'd help if there were more people with different views and topics to start discussions about.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
More info sure for those coming on holiday and the current climate
Helpful to some I'm sure. We were considering going to Tenerife but the Hotel we were looking at (cheap deal due to my parents timeshare) was fully booked until November. So we've booked a nice place in Majorca

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
When I was in Lanzarote early June (Playa de los Pocillos) it was pretty busy, hotels and bars where full and no shortage of staff as far as I can see. Playa Del Carmen was extremely busy too as was Arricife.

We went to Rancho Texas one evening and it was sold out with a couple of hundred people. Teguise Market was rammed. With people having trouble getting busses there was so many waiting.

Not disagreeing with you but perhaps you are on a different part of the Island where it may be different..

I saw the repots on the news before I went there thinking we may see some sort of action somewhere but saw none.

I’m in Puerto Del Carmen , it’s not that busy ! Plenty seats in restaurants! Bars not busy , unless footballs is on even then ……..

I guess it’s all in perspective , IMO it’s quiet and some of the bars owners I’ve spoken too will tell you likewise ! Dont think all inc hotels are helping here !

Admin

Maybe this would be best moved to NACA ! :-)

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I’m in Puerto Del Carmen , it’s not that busy ! Plenty seats in restaurants! Bars not busy , unless footballs is on even then ……..

I guess it’s all in perspective , IMO it’s quiet and some of the bars owners I’ve spoken too will tell you likewise ! Dont think all inc hotels are helping here !

Admin

Maybe this would be best moved to NACA ! :-)

Strange.
I am hearing that the weather there at the moment is not that great. That may have some bearing on it.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Strange.
I am hearing that the weather there at the moment is not that great. That may have some bearing on it.

Well….. last month wasn’t great and the winds have been more prevalent than normal . However , we were here last year exact same place and it was quiet then . Again just my personal opinion . Maybe this is the norm now that we have all theee fancy hotels popping up .

They have had no significant rain since Dec ! Everything looks burnt ! Yep it’s volcanic :-)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well….. last month wasn’t great and the winds have been more prevalent than normal . However , we were here last year exact same place and it was quiet then . Again just my personal opinion . Maybe this is the norm now that we have all theee fancy hotels popping up .
Not 'peak holiday' time for Brits til later, schools are yet to break for summer.

Top Bottom