Kilian Jornet climbs all eighty two 4,000m peaks in 19 days.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
No fluorescent? Maniac!

This is next level, and all under his own power, cycling and running between.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/202..._eighty-two_4000_metre_peaks_in_19_days-73782

Just seen this. v v cool! He's such a lovely, amazing dude; I know nothing about proper mountaineering, but I know about Killian!

Is your interpretation of the stats/route that he cycled* 1207km. or travelled 1207km in total? [Why the heck isn't it simply on Strava?!?]

"His final stats for the overall link-up were as follows:

82 Peaks of 4,000 metres or higher in 19 Days - using only human power to link them together.
Distance covered: 1,207 kilometres.
Active time: 267 hours 45 minutes.
Elevation gain: 75, 344 metres
Average hours of sleep: 5 hours 17 minutes
."

*I think you can guess why this distance has significance to long-distance riders :whistle: ...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My first thought was "How did he lock up his bike while he was climbing? I hope he found somewhere secure and had a good lock. And what if he lost the key halfway up a mountain?"

I need to stop worrying so much.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My first thought was "How did he lock up his bike while he was climbing?
I hadn't thought about the bike, but now you mention it...

I doubt that he would go up one mountain and then return to the starting point. Surely he would do several peaks, one after another? If so, he could end up a long way from the bike. I wonder if someone moved it for him? Or maybe he planned a group of peaks, then ran/hiked/climbed back to the bike before riding to the next cluster?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@ColinJ we are both guilty of not reading the linked article. It describes his impressive journey in detail. Take a look.

He had support so that means someone to look after a spare key, which has reduced my stress levels a bit.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Epic stuff for sure. Chapeau.

Apart from the physical stuff, logistics etc I can't get my head around the sleep deprivation bit. I'd be useless after 4 or so hours sleep on the first stop even without the physical stuff.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Pah. I did it in the same time wearing a pith helmet and Bermuda shorts. Didn't drop my swagger stick once.

Mitty is a meek, mild-mannered man with a vivid fantasy life. In a few dozen paragraphs, he imagines himself a wartime pilot, an emergency-room surgeon, and a devil-may-care killer, who climbs the 82 4,000m peaks in time for tea.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Is your interpretation of the stats/route that he cycled* 1207km. or travelled 1207km in total? [Why the heck isn't it simply on Strava?!?]

My interpretation is that the 1207km is just distance covered ascending and descending mountains. If you divide by 267 hours you get 4-5 km/h, which would be consistent with that. I suspect the cycling distance would be on top of that. Because you can enchain a series of summits in one push, I’d think the cycling distance will be less.

Oh and he is on Strava if you want to check

https://strava.app.link/Kj8TGFme1Mb

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
@matticus Looks like the 1207km was the cycling. He was also setting Strava records on alpine traverses along the way. Check out the climbing vs. Distance figure. A reminder as to how flat all cycling is really.

1726750483309.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
My first thought was "How did he lock up his bike while he was climbing? I hope he found somewhere secure and had a good lock. And what if he lost the key halfway up a mountain?"

I need to stop worrying so much.

Not a problem had he done it on a Brompton. He could have folded it and carried it with him, that would have solved the problem of locking it, plus he'd be ready to go once he got back to the bottom of each peak. 😉

Top Bottom