Just wondering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diablo65

Hi all, I've just joined the forum after taking up cycling only two weeks ago, got myself a cheap bike to get going and loving it so far. Having not been on a bike for about 15 years. Just wondered though, even though I've only been going out a couple of weeks I've had quite a few peanut drivers giving me shoot for literally not wanting to ride through drains and potholes, is this normal?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Normal? No. Too common? Yes. A minority of motorists always will be idiots and they seem more common on some roads than others. If roads ever gridlock, then that seems to make more motorists stupid too.

The proportion of them seems to vary around the country. Even in relatively cycle-using King's Lynn, I used the road to the leisure centre early yesterday evening and a 4x4 driver was so incensed by me riding to the right of raised ironwork that he "punishment pass"ed me and that wasn't enough for him, so after we'd both parked at the end of the road, he walked over to the cycle parking to criticise my riding. When it became clear I was both unapologetic and bigger than him, he walked off with "learn to drive" ringing in his ears... not my finest moment, but stick to your line, eh!

If I wasn't daydreaming, I'd use the near-parallel cycleways. It's no further, avoids two sets of traffic lights and is full of happier people who haven't had to deal with motorists like that 4x4 rager, which I guess would annoy anyone ;)

Shame I didn't have the camera on (local police say they're interested in road ragers), but I'd probably have stopped it when I parked anyway.

I think: don't let the nobbers stop you riding properly but don't respond in kind, consider a cheap camera if you can afford it, grass up any bad drivers and report the worst routes/times for it to the police because even in these times of cuts, I think they still like shooting fish in a barrel to get the numbers of solved offences up.

OP
OP
D

Diablo65

Cheers guys, just got back from a ride out this morning, wasn't too bad today literally only one car came really close as it passed that was about it, I must admit though, you can see why it would put some people off its pretty scary when they come so near. Think I'll invest in a camera too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As you have just got back on the bike after a gap, you might find this reading useful
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/
Oh don't confuse the returner... that guide contains some good advice but I think it puts secondary position too far left (unless you live somewhere with unusually wide cycle lanes), misleads about red lights (red bike/man lights on cycleway/carriageway crossings are give-ways, not stop, and you'll grow old fast if you stop for them all), repeats the common-on-CC "UK cities were not planned [for] cycling" apologism (none in the world were until recently but most of the UK is currently in denial), bizarrely ignores city bikes and doesn't reflect the diversity of cycling. (Edit: I know I should make these points there but I've never finished reading that thread when I started and I don't want to go over old ground :sad: Maybe writing this in public is finally motive! )

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum. :welcome:. There are always one or two numpty car drivers.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome!
Driving in traffic can be challenging, don't let that put you off.
Maybe find alternative routes and/or attend a cycling with confidence course.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I feel I've been a bit remiss about welcoming our recent influx of new members. CycleChat is a serious place and newcomers deserve a heartfelt, personal and serious welcome.
Two out of three aint bad.
Glad to have you on board, Diablo65!

To answer your question, you might find that manoeuvring out of the way of potholes and obstructions further in advance, and if comfortable, looking back at the vehicle behind, might mean better treatment on the road.

Top Bottom