Janis Xenith Comp.......any thoughts on this bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm looking for a 'sportive' (more relaxed/comfortable) bike and this seams to tick all the boxes.
According to the 'Janis' web site they are well established but I must admit to never having heard of them.
According to their web site you can choose a triple which I would do. (Having said that I now can't find where I read it.)
Any thoughts......does anyone know them ?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/xenith-comp-2011-road-bike-ec025752#features

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
American Bikes... and American bikes are usually very good. (GT, Spesh etc)
Bike Radar rates them highly.
Here is a review of the Xenith, though it's the top of the range version.

From Livstrong blog
Jamis Xenith Comp
With a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $1,950, "Bicycling" magazine notes that this carbon cycle "delivers value in spades" at a "price tag that's significantly less" than other bikes in the magazine's annual 2010 editors' choice awards. Features that the magazine fell in love with include a responsive feel, exceptional handling, asymmetrical chainstays and a comfortable ride suitable for both racing and recreational rides.

VamP

Banned
Looks to be a reasonably good value. I would be hoping for Ultegra (not expecting, just hoping) at this price point (pre-discount I mean) and the only thing I would highlight is the fairly pedestrian wheelset, and budget tyres. If you go for it, see if you can negotiate an upgrade deal.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Looks to be a reasonably good value. I would be hoping for Ultegra (not expecting, just hoping) at this price point (pre-discount I mean) and the only thing I would highlight is the fairly pedestrian wheelset, and budget tyres. If you go for it, see if you can negotiate an upgrade deal.
Thanks for that.
Can you suggest any similar bikes that would give Ultegra at this price ?
What do you mean by "pedestrian wheelset"
It's my first real road bike purchase so am a little 'green'.....I am after a sportive type geometry.

VamP

Banned
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46009/Cube_Agree_Pro_Compact_2012_Bike

Here is an example - obviously you'd need to find it in the sales, as is the Jamis.

The CXP22 wheelset are a bit on the heavy side. Nothing very wrong with them, but the Easton EA50 the Cube comes with are a significantly better wheelset, comparable to say Fulcrum 5 in performance (and price).

Also take a look at the Ribble website.

But to be clear, I am not trying to put you off the Jamis, I am sure you would be very happy with it as a first road bike.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Very helpful-thanks again.
Must say the Cube does look 'the business' and only 8.2Kg.
I really wanted a triple as I've never ridden a double but I suppose everyone has to get used to that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do not forget the Boardman range , a lot of bang for your buck ,you will find most bikes come with compact doubles that are going to give you a gear range nearly as low as a triple anyway .
I ride the road comp that has the same wheelset as the cube , but its a bit heavier (9 kg ) but its only £800 and come wiht sram apex giving you a bottom gear you can get up a cliff with ...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777781_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Or go up to carbon for 8.2 kg for 1299..

• Ultra lightweight T700 carbon frame with tapered headtube BB30 bottom bracket and internal rear cable routing
  • Lightweight monocoque carbon fibre fork with carbon steerer for accurate steering and absorption of road vibrations
  • Mavic Aksium silver wheelset
  • Boardman branded quality finishing kit
  • FSA Gossamer Pro BB30 50/34 compact chain set provides lower gear ratios for tackling hills with a higher cadence
  • Shimano 105 20 speed gearing for reliable shifting performance
  • Powerful dual pivot Shimano 105 brakes
You could also look into decathlon , their carbon bikes were used by an ex champion , reviewed in cycling plus a while back and they liked them , full carbon with sram rival
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-facet-5-id_8127609.html

BC BOOTLE

VIKING ROAD CLUB LIVERPOOL
My Boardman road team BB failure after 20 miles from new,,,very common fault,,,just google boardman bottom bracket ,,,lots of tales to read,,,Halfords now admit its a common fault,offered me a replacement bike in case of frame damage,but wanted to take the bottom bracket off the new bike to check it,,,told them to keep their bikes,,,, I bought a spesh secteur elite

Top Bottom