is this feasible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
I've seen a mountain bike for sale at a nice price and excellent spec.
As I want to up my mileage at weekends and odd days,could I just put some chunky hybrid type tyres on it and use it as such?
It has a fairly upright riding position Lots of gears and a suspension fork. I don't want to ride off road, maybe a bit of gravel rough track etc.
This seems like a reasonable idea to me. Anyone got a view on this subject?

Can't see why not.

I have a vintage steel MTB that's set up with commuter tyres (semi-slick with puncture protection) that I ride on the road and also on gravel tracks / farm trails. It's a bit boring on dry tarmac, but good (and comfortable) fun on loose surfaces.

The one compromise is finding the right tyre pressure that works for you. High enough to make it not feel like riding through treacle on the road, but low enough so that you have good grip and control when it's slippery.

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
A good plan...

If the fork has the option to lock out the suspension I would do that on the road. (Unless your local road surfaces are even worse than mine!)

unfortunately the roads out here are awful. Hence my thinking. I'm in an area of hilly and dreadful roads. My brompton struggles in this environment and I fancy another bike that will enable me to venture further afield.

vickster

Legendary Member
A suspension hybrid might be another option with 700c wheels?

Otherwise check you can get hybrid tyres for the wheels on the MTB

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
I've put a cheeky offer in.
awaiting a reply.
It's been listed for quite some time so here's hoping.

TBH, for farm tracks and gravel, you really don't *NEED* suspension forks tbh. Unless you're riding really gnarly stuff, it's just extra weight to lug around unnecessarily. Wide, squishy tyres, your elbows and knees, and pedals that your feet stay put on (decent, grippy flats will do), and Robert is your father's brother.

boydj

Legendary Member
Yes you can. But suspension forks add a lot of weight to the bike and you have to maintain them. If you are not going off road, you do not need them.

Very true. Plus, if you can't lock them out, they make road riding pretty inefficient, with energy going into deflecting the forks instead of driving you forward.

Top Bottom