Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) - Car Speed Limiters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This technology has only been round for 20+years and the Swedes have been installing speed limiters in new drivers cars since about then too but a couple of days ago the EU law came into force making it mandatory across all new cars sold in Europe, and whilst it only legal in the EU it's being reported that manufacturers are unlikely to make deregulated cars specifically for the UK.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/...red-all-new-cars-know-rules-and-how-they-work

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Much safer for vulnerable road users, even though drivers not paying attention at 20 mph can still inflict some damage.
I think a lot will just buy a car not made in the EU to avoid this speed limiter.

My new (to me car) has one of these
OK - as it is a 2019 model I have to switch it on if I want it to operate

but it operates from the sign recognition camera in the car and that seems to miss quite a few signs at times

which is OK if the speed limit goes from 40 to 50
but if it goes from 50 to 30 and I don;t realise - because I am relying on it- then it could be a problem

Ok you say - a better one would use the satnav as well - but my satnav maps are only updated every 6 months - and even then only if I do it myself as the garage don;t do stuff like that
I presume a main dealer would do it but even then it can be 6 months out of date

and on top of that it relies on the satnav company allowing updates
Mine has lifetime updates and lifetime travel
but the travel comes from Traffic Master and they have "discontinued the product" which apparently means the traffic bits don't work and Honda can't do anything about it

I presume a modern system would be better - but if it was to become compulsory then I would expect a guarantee that it would work for ever and if the relevant company supplying the data decided it is no longer profitable then they would HAVE to go on anyway - even if the car was 15 years old or something

We do seem to be blindly wandering into a situation where a private company has control over more and more important features of a car that they can control and switch off if they decide to

I mean - there are 20 or 30 or 40 year old cars happily driving round the roads and the original company has not had to be involved since it was sold
and a back street garage can fix it without having to check with anyone else

but if that was a modern car - will it just reach a stage where the software can't run it anymore after 10 years because it needs an update and they are no longer available???

classic33

Leg End Member
My new (to me car) has one of these
OK - as it is a 2019 model I have to switch it on if I want it to operate

but it operates from the sign recognition camera in the car and that seems to miss quite a few signs at times

which is OK if the speed limit goes from 40 to 50
but if it goes from 50 to 30 and I don;t realise - because I am relying on it- then it could be a problem

Ok you say - a better one would use the satnav as well - but my satnav maps are only updated every 6 months - and even then only if I do it myself as the garage don;t do stuff like that
I presume a main dealer would do it but even then it can be 6 months out of date

and on top of that it relies on the satnav company allowing updates
Mine has lifetime updates and lifetime travel
but the travel comes from Traffic Master and they have "discontinued the product" which apparently means the traffic bits don't work and Honda can't do anything about it

I presume a modern system would be better - but if it was to become compulsory then I would expect a guarantee that it would work for ever and if the relevant company supplying the data decided it is no longer profitable then they would HAVE to go on anyway - even if the car was 15 years old or something

We do seem to be blindly wandering into a situation where a private company has control over more and more important features of a car that they can control and switch off if they decide to

I mean - there are 20 or 30 or 40 year old cars happily driving round the roads and the original company has not had to be involved since it was sold
and a back street garage can fix it without having to check with anyone else

but if that was a modern car - will it just reach a stage where the software can't run it anymore after 10 years because it needs an update and they are no longer available???
Given the amount/number of undersized speed signs there are, will the camera(s) recognise an undersized one. Or will the system only be set to recognise the legally sized ones?

Bristolian

I spent a long time looking for a Mercedes E-Class that didn't have all these wonderful (?) gadgets in. Not looking to be able to speed just wanting to be in full control of the vehicle without having to remember to turn things off all the time. Couldn't be happier with the car that I eventually bought :okay:

Complete automation will come no matter what we, as motorists, think or say.

Drago

Legendary Member
Complete automation will come no matter what we, as motorists, think or say.

Not soon enough for me. I hate driving.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Great news, my wife and her family are ex racing car drivers!
It would be nice to sit in the passenger seat not trying to brake for her 😱
Saying that she has all the time in the world for cyclists and gives them heaps of room. Probably because she used to ride herself😂

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Forgive my ignorance but how do these work? Say I'm in a 40 limit doing 35-40 and pass a sign into a 30 limit does my engine automatically back off until I'm at 30? And on the M-way does my engine stop responding to the accelerator if I try to exceed 70?

Won't affect me much because I'm a speed limit pedant normally.

I have my stnav set to give me a warning tone if it thinks I'm speeding. Interestingly it used to imagine a "ghost" 40 limit section on the A614 near Howden which may once have been existed but doesn't exist now. It always used to warn me when I went through at 50. I think it's been sorted by map updates.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Mine and my wife’s cars both have speed limit detection. Just this week I was driving my wife’s car along a dual carriageway and passed an off slip. There were 30 mph limit signs on the off-slip that the car spotted and then reported on the dashboard. It also flashed this speed limit at me to remind me that the 70 mph I was doing was too fast. Imagine if the car had autonomously reacted to that speed limit on a free-flowing dual carriageway.

For the most part both cars get it right most of the time, but there are still times when they get it wrong.

Top Bottom