Im Back... But in hull!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
So after a long break from CC I'm back! I have recently moved to Hull for work so looking to find a cycle club/ people to explore the beautiful countryside with and show me the area. I've got a Giant Defy one and enjoy cycling on quiet roads and paths mainly. I was thinking of giving route 65 from Hull to Hornsea a crack but I wasn't sure if it was all tarmac or not?

Has anyone got any suggestions of routes, clubs and places to cycle out too in the evenings and weekends?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hi Route 65 certainly isn't all tarmac :sad: I used to commute that way on my hybrid, but it's so slow with all the gates nearer Hull & the rough surfaces.

I live near Hornsea & now commute to Hull via Hatfield, New Ellerby, Old Ellerby & then onto the A165. It depends where abouts in Hull you are for the best/quietest roads.
There's a few clubs in Hull depending what kind of riding you want to do, there's Cottingham Cycle club if you are over that way & Hornsea Peloton near me :okay:

BrynCP

Über Member
As above, the trail is not all tarmac and in the Hull end it's very bumpy even on the tarmac, the tree routes destroying the path.

This is a loop I take out to Hornsea and back via Aldbrough. The "loop" starts at Sutton Road near where I live, the above route would be more appropriate if you were more central I guess. From Sutton Road to Hornsea (clock wise) is almost entirely quiet and mostly single track road on the below. From Hornsea onwards are busier roads, but still fairly quite out of holiday season.

upload_2015-6-3_20-3-55.png

howard2107

I wish i was in an area like Hull, as its reasonably flat, i am going to go over that way in the summer at sometime, i want to go over the bridge, around Barton etc and then back. Theres a good few quiet country lanes if i remember. I worked at Kimberly Clark for 5 years, so am familiar with the area as well.

OP
OP
boybiker

boybiker

Guru
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still getting my bearings in Hull being from Kent and its certainly a lot flatter around here! I will have a go at the suggested routes :smile:

I'm in the Kingswood area of Hull so am planning to pop to Beverly and back on the bike this weekend!

midlife

Guru
Have a potter around Beverly Westwood :smile:. If you get bored with the flat google Spout Hill...

Shaun

Soltydog

Legendary Member
From Kingswood, if you head out on Wawne Road there's some nice quiet roads out that way :okay:

BrynCP

Über Member
Have a potter around Beverly Westwood :smile:. If you get bored with the flat google Spout Hill...

Yes, if you get bored of the flat, head towards Swanland then out to Welton, Elloughton and Brantingham. Spout Hill, as mentioned above, is in Brantingham.

midlife

Guru
Forgot about Swanland, feed the ducks and Aztec bar from the bonk bag. Seriously though it made a change from the flat and worth a visit.

Shaun

BrynCP

Über Member
@BrynCP - part of that route is my route to work ^_^
& I know most of the roads, how long is it?
The circular part of that route, i.e. from Sutton road at the bottom left, is about 38 miles. It's 42 miles for me as I left just off the map to the left.

There is no particular reason I avoid "Wyton", it's just habit, the first time I planned the route I wanted to ensure over 40 miles hence why it goes around.

Top Bottom