Ig-Nobel 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
It's that time of year again where scientists are awarded for showing why "can" and "should" are very different things.

Ig-Nobel winners 2024:
PEACE PRIZE [USA]
B.F. Skinner, for experiments to see the feasibility of housing live pigeons inside missiles to guide the flight paths of the missiles.

BOTANY PRIZE [GERMANY, BRAZIL, USA]
Jacob White and Felipe Yamashita, for finding evidence that some real plants imitate the shapes of neighbouring artificial plastic plants.

ANATOMY PRIZE [FRANCE, CHILE]
Marjolaine Willems, Quentin Hennocq, Sara Tunon de Lara, Nicolas Kogane, Vincent Fleury, Romy Rayssiguier, Juan José Cortés Santander, Roberto Requena, Julien Stirnemann, and Roman Hossein Khonsari, for studying whether the hair on the heads of most people in the northern hemisphere swirls in the same direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise?) as hair on the heads of most people in the southern hemisphere.

MEDICINE PRIZE [SWITZERLAND, GERMANY, BELGIUM]
Lieven A. Schenk, Tahmine Fadai, and Christian Büchel, for demonstrating that fake medicine that causes painful side-effects can be more effective than fake medicine that does not cause painful side-effects.

PHYSICS PRIZE [USA]
James C. Liao, for demonstrating and explaining the swimming abilities of a dead trout.

PHYSIOLOGY PRIZE [JAPAN, USA]
Ryo Okabe, Toyofumi F. Chen-Yoshikawa, Yosuke Yoneyama, Yuhei Yokoyama, Satona Tanaka, Akihiko Yoshizawa, Wendy L. Thompson, Gokul Kannan, Eiji Kobayashi, Hiroshi Date, and Takanori Takebe, for discovering that many mammals are capable of breathing through their anus.

PROBABILITY PRIZE [THE NETHERLANDS, SWITZERLAND, BELGIUM, FRANCE, GERMANY, HUNGARY, CZECH REPUBLIC]
František Bartoš, Eric-Jan Wagenmakers, Alexandra Sarafoglou, Henrik Godmann, and many colleagues, for showing, both in theory and by 350,757 experiments, that when you flip a coin, it tends to land on the same side as it started.

CHEMISTRY PRIZE [THE NETHERLANDS, FRANCE]
Tess Heeremans, Antoine Deblais, Daniel Bonn, and Sander Woutersen, for using chromatography to separate drunk and sober worms.

DEMOGRAPHY PRIZE [AUSTRALIA, UK]
Saul Justin Newman, for detective work to discover that many of the people famous for having the longest lives lived in places that had lousy birth-and-death recordkeeping.

BIOLOGY PRIZE [USA]
Fordyce Ely and William E. Petersen, for exploding a paper bag next to a cat that’s standing on the back of a cow, to explore how and when cows spew their milk.

I had a quick look at the paper for breathing through your bum. Apparently they pump O2 up your arse.
From the paper:
fx1_lrg.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
I expect virtually all humans can breathe through their bums, usually only exhaling though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Research on the real effects of placebos is fascinating, and the notion that plants have some kind of visual ability is extraordinary.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm looking forward to the details of...

DEMOCRACY PRIZE [USA]
Awarded for the discovery of a vital antidote to combat fake-tan-induced maniacal narcissism detector cell failure.

:whistle:

I'm detecting a crossover between @Seevio's physiology prize (mammals breathing through their anus) and the subject of your democracy price - a person who learned some years ago to talk out of his bigly anus, but the very first word uttered from below his equator might have been Covfefe.

I wouldn't like to estimate the decibel output nor the vocal range of that triumphant outlet.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
ANATOMY PRIZE [FRANCE, CHILE]
Marjolaine Willems, Quentin Hennocq, Sara Tunon de Lara, Nicolas Kogane, Vincent Fleury, Romy Rayssiguier, Juan José Cortés Santander, Roberto Requena, Julien Stirnemann, and Roman Hossein Khonsari, for studying whether the hair on the heads of most people in the northern hemisphere swirls in the same direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise?) as hair on the heads of most people in the southern hemisphere.

I sat behind a person at a funeral who had a double crown on the back of his head not that far above his neckline. I'm pretty sure they went in different directions so it all aligned up down the centre, i.e. Clockwise left , anti clock right.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Generally also pointless, sometimes totally obvious - you need research to discover the swimming abilities of a dead trout?

Except a lot of them aren't pointless. Just a bit odd.

According to the Wikipedia page for the awards: 'Its aim is to "honour achievements that first make people laugh, and then make them think.'

It further states that they are occasionally intended to be satirical, such as some about homeopathy research, but that they're mostly to draw attention to scientific articles with some humorous or unexpected aspect.

Of this year's, my favourite is the demography one.

OP
OP
S

Seevio

Guru
The links to the source papers are on the ig-nobel website. I left them off here for ease of reading. I think I will have to go back and find out what they were trying to achieve with the cat on the cow one.

Top Bottom