Ideas to improve folding bike brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I recently bought 1986 Halfords folding bike, which has become my round town, won't get stolen bike.

20240421_182500.jpg

When I bought it the brakes were woeful. I've replaced the steel front wheel with an aluminium one, replaced the plastic brake levers with stronger ones, and am using compressionless brake outers with new pads. The braking is vastly improved - they are now just poor.

Do you have any thoughts or experience on how to improve them further, or does the caliper drop of 72mm mean this is as good as I can expect?

Last edited:

EckyH

Dual pivot, stiffer brakes like the Tektro R369 probably will make a remarkable difference.
After that I'd try out different brake pads.
Swiss Stop and Koolstop have good reputations as far as I know.

E.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
How does the kickstand attach to your 1986 Halfords folding bike?
Asking for a colonial cousin otp.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't checked in on this thread for a few days.

The stand clamps between the chain stays.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I fitted the long drop Tektro brakes this afternoon and braking is transformed.

I was delighted, then I realised it's started again; a £25 bike, £75 spent on a new seat post and brakes, and now the brakes are showing up play in the headset!

And it's still only worth £25.

azbikes

Of my collection, the best brakes are from a V-brake conversion I did myself, which meant welding bosses to the frame and fork. My others are varying degrees of mediocre. Doubt you'll be hurtling along at high speed, so maybe lousy brakes are something you have to accept on these old timers.
I recently bought 1986 Halfords folding bike, which has become my round town, won't get stolen bike.

View attachment 738272

When I bought it the brakes were woeful. I've replaced the steel front wheel with an aluminium one, replaced the plastic brake levers with stronger ones, and am using compressionless brake outers with new pads. The braking is vastly improved - they are now just poor.

Do you have any thoughts or experience on how to improve them further, or does the caliper drop of 72mm mean this is as good as I can expect?

You can try one little extra tip. Make sure your brake pads are slightly pigeon-toed as you look down on them from behind. In other words when you engage the brake, the first part of the brake pad should hit the rim first and then automatically pull in the rear end so the entire pad drags at the rim. This also eliminates the squeal. Also check the surface of your brake pad make sure it's not glazed over or shiny. If it is just take some light sandpaper to it or replace.
Btw, with these type of caliper brakes it's very hard to adjust the angle of how the brake pad hits the rim. Usually you have to get a crescent wrench and find a bite somewhere below the pad itself and manually bend the brake arm. But now that the v brakes have the concave washers, you could try that to get the angle correct.

Top Bottom