I graphed distance travelled over the past six years..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Granted of dubious interest to anyone but me, but I felt like sharing.

While I'll admit that this was probably done mostly to feed the OCD monster's insatiable appetite for spreadsheets, I have found it pretty insightful.

Below is a graph of rolling 365 day distance travelled by bike as well as the total for all bikes. Limitations include miles on the OCR as I did loads on this before I got the GPS unit from which all this data is pulled - at which point the bike was on its last legs, had been replaced and was only being used for utility. Also my Routier beater isn't listed as the nature of its use prevents the use of the GPS head unit..

2024.08.02 Miles.jpg

The graph begins in October 2018 when I got my Boardman and Polar head unit. We can see that at this time nearly all distance was accumulated on this bike, with its usage declining when I got the CdF in 2020 as I much preferred the versatility of the gravel bike over the Team Carbon's faster but road-only use. In this time we have a few utility miles covered on the OCR and Ofo before they were both eventually sold.

We can see the covid-utopia spike in 2020 when mileage was piled onto the CdF on the gloriously deserted, sun-baked roads; peaking at a max of maybe 3200 miles covered in a year. From here distance covered fell sharply as life fell apart, I had to move home and I completely lost my cycling mojo - resulting in a dismal trough of maybe 700 miles / year in mid-2022.. the CdF still being the bike I used almost exclusively.

August 2022 brought the arrival of the Fuji in the hope that a more utility-focussed bike would get me out more; which worked and distance covered started to climb significantly. At first the new utility hack was used alongside the CdF until I finally admitted to myself that I preferred the Fuji on account of it's nicer 3x9 gearing and wider Q-factor / pedal spacing which is much easier on my knees and hips. I still have the CdF but it's unlikely to get much use until I've sorted the Q-issue... plus most of my riding round here is utility so the Fuji remains the default.

June 2023 saw the arrival of the Brompton in an effort to salvage what I could from the commute-ruined vestages of my mental health, and mileage really started to stack up. Due to the distance covered on the Brompton the Fuji is seeing less use; partially because I can only cycle so far (and am now doing more on the Brompton after work just for the sake of it), partially because I sometimes pick up stuff on the commute that I'd otherwise have got at the weekend on the Fuji.

Now, just over a year later we can see rolling annual mileage flattening out at around 3800 miles.. which is more than I've managed previously and mostly thanks to the commute.

As it stands the Boardman was sold a few months ago due to lack of use, the Genesis remains mothballed, the Ragley (purchased late 2023) gets a little tickle on the bridleways when it's dry (although needs frame protection tape!) while the Brompton and to a lesser extent Fuji get the lion's share of the work.

:smile:

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I like that!

Is there a relationship between miles cycled and happiness? I'm sure there would be for me.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like that!

Is there a relationship between miles cycled and happiness? I'm sure there would be for me.

Cheers - if it's of any interest I could probably send you a copy of the spreadsheet for your own use; however it only works if you have detailed historic records.

I'd certainly say there's a huge correlation between bike usage and my mental health (I hesitate to use the word happiness as this is rarely something I enjoy) however there are obviously plenty of other factors at play as well. Tbh I'm genuinely not sure I've still be around to type this had I not got the Brompton when I did..

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks @wafter

I'm very glad you are still with us.

Thanks for the offer. I stopped recording miles, speed etc a couple of years ago; the way I'm made I'm much more content just pedalling, not measuring.

J

Cheers - appreciate that :smile:

That's fair; I can completely appreciate where you're coming from.

When I got the Boardman I bought into the whole road bike ethos as that's what I thought I wanted. As time's passed I've come to realise that my main enjoyment comes from just getting out / utility / integrating cycling into other aspects of life... so while the numbers matter less I still find them of value to get a handle on what's going on with myself (fitness etc) and the bikes (maintenance, how long stuff lasts etc).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to log every ride on a spreadsheet (paper before that) until Garmin GPS etc devices came out. I just let that record data now - not interested in what it's saying on screen when riding anymore. Main purpose is to log time riding, and seeing a steady increase since I broke my spine. I do, however, need to do some more slower rides, bigger distances and go places, rather than speed off on a ride or just a commute.

Garmin connect etc make it easy to dump your data onto a spreadsheet to do graphs if so inclined (working with spreadsheets, I'm not 'inclined).

Some useful info can be gained, especially if you aren't feeling well - you can pick these up from knowing how long it usually takes you - e.g. commuting. If its suddenly getting slower, or harder, without a conscious 'change' it's good. I noticed some years ago a massive fall off on energy on my way home - checking the garmin data fitted exactly. Off to the docs to get sorted.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I used to log every ride on a spreadsheet (paper before that) until Garmin GPS etc devices came out. I just let that record data now - not interested in what it's saying on screen when riding anymore. Main purpose is to log time riding, and seeing a steady increase since I broke my spine. I do, however, need to do some more slower rides, bigger distances and go places, rather than speed off on a ride or just a commute.

Garmin connect etc make it easy to dump your data onto a spreadsheet to do graphs if so inclined (working with spreadsheets, I'm not 'inclined).

Some useful info can be gained, especially if you aren't feeling well - you can pick these up from knowing how long it usually takes you - e.g. commuting. If its suddenly getting slower, or harder, without a conscious 'change' it's good. I noticed some years ago a massive fall off on energy on my way home - checking the garmin data fitted exactly. Off to the docs to get sorted.
I'm the same and find the most on-ride value in the GPS unit being how far I have to go / how much time I have to get there. The Polar software and Strava do a good job of summarising many elements of the ride, although certain elements are lacking so I manually stuff the data into a spreadsheet to get the info I want.

I assume you also use a heart rate monitor? Mine has certainly flagged issues in the past when I've been unwell / overdone it on a previous ride :smile:

My records are all on paper, and only partially transferred to the computer, but these are the annual figures:

View attachment 739593

Annual totals in red, cumulative total in blue.
Great work - that's some distance travelled! I'm currently on about 11.5k miles recorded; probably more lke 16-17k factoring the stuff that predates the GPS unit or hasn't been logged for other reasons.

I remember you've mentioned health issues in the past - I assume this is what's responsible for the post-2010 drop-off in mileage? What a shame :sad:

presta

Guru
I remember you've mentioned health issues in the past - I assume this is what's responsible for the post-2010 drop-off in mileage? What a shame :sad:

2010 is when my arrythmia first appeared, 2011 the last cycle tour, 2012 when the arrhythmia was diagnosed, and 2020 the last time I cycled at all.

2000 was when I switched from fellwalking to cycle touring.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

2010 is when my arrythmia first appeared, 2011 the last cycle tour, 2012 when the arrhythmia was diagnosed, and 2020 the last time I cycled at all.

2000 was when I switched from fellwalking to cycle touring.

That must have been crushing - how come you don't cycle any more - fear of it precipitating a heart issue? I have a mate with a heart condition who I think would benefit enormously mentally and physically from riding (and he'd very much like to) however he's been told not to incase he black out while he's riding and it causes a more serious situation.

Tbh I rely on cycling so much for many reasons, I think my life would be effectively over if I could no longer get out on the bike. Have you gone back to walking?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@wafter, I have a HR monitor, but not used it for some time. Again though, you'll soon see if you are unwell as you get used to your HR given a perceived effort, and if something isn't right it will be usually much higher than usual.

Top Bottom