Hypothetical Bike Purchase: What would you buy for fast-paced fine weather club runs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is strictly a thought experiment, if you'd please be so kind to indulge me.

Given that:
  • You have a £2,000 budget
  • You are in good form and at your racing weight
  • You wish to go on fastish, slightly lumpy club runs - ranging from 40 to 70 miles in length, with typically 500m to 1000m of climbing
  • You may occasionally ride the odd 10 or 20 mile time trial
  • You are either going to bailout in poor weather or you have another bike with mudguards
  • You are willing to buy either a new bike, or a second hand bike in "Grade A" condition
What bike would you buy?
And given that it you can't have it all, at this price point, what would bike features and characteristics would you prioritise? (i.e. rim or disc brakes, tyre clearance, comfort, weight, drag coefficient etc.)

If that budget were extended to £3,000, would you change your mind and opt for something else?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was about to pull the trigger on a Mercian 'Audax Special' in 853 when I had the fall and broke my Femur. I would have then built the frame up with components nicked from a couple of the other bikes I've built up. (Ultegra HT11 triple 105GS mech and a couple of handbuilt wheels with Mavic 'Open Sport' rims all in silver) I'd have then bought a couple of Campagnolo 'skeleton' brake calipers to swap the Shimano brakes I've got on the 653 TT bike so that would then be all Campy.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is all super hypothetical but I'd add in a criterion that the wheels should be interchangeable with my other bike(s) so if my backup mudguarded bike was disc brake I'd want discs, if it was rim brake I'd want rims. So in an emergency like a broken spoke or something I can just swap a wheel over to tide me over until I can get it fixed. Or I could retire wheels from my fancy bike to my second bike and so on.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

It's hypothetical for now. I've got clearance to buy another bike once I've fitted the loft hatch. .... I didn't even ask for it!
But I won't make a decision on it until I hit my target weight and can ride 100km at at least 25 kph.

@Dogtrousers .. very good point about the wheels.

I was looking at what I could theoretically buy, and wondering whether this was a contender:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-TCR-Advanced-2-Pro-Compact-2024-Road-Bike_264939.htm?sku=957964

It ticks a couple of boxes, with rim brakes reducing both cost and weight (8 kg). And looks like it will take 28mm wide tyres.

It's what inspired the question.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Depends on your age and frame preferences.
I shouldn't set yourself targets re weight and distance at a certain speed after all isn't cycling for the pleasure of taking part?
If you're a youngun you'd be going for carbon or if an old fart like me you'd be looking at 853 or some sort of Colombus. Something in between aluminium with a good spec.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I like targets. I find them very motivational :smile:

I had a carbon fibre bike before - a Focus Cayo - and I felt it was a bit of a weapon. Noticeably quicker than anything else I had at the time. I do kind of fancy having one again - whilst I'm still of an age I can probably just take advantage of it.

Anyway, just mulling it over. And curious as to what anyone else would do, given the same set of circumstances.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oooh, I like that

Shame they forgot to paint it :whistle:

Only available in giant size 60cm frame

Jameshow

Veteran
Id look for a Ridley noah or Cannondale systemsix??
Fast on the flats.
If your in the hills a supersix or other climbing bike would Bea better bet.

Often lesser known brands like cube or focus and gvm.

If it were me I'd go for what I've just gone for: a Fairlight Strael with 105 and Hunt Carbon 30 wheels.

Yes, it's a bit heavier than most, but only a bit (9.25-ish kg), but the wheels make a heap of difference to its feel and in the end it's a lot nicer to ride (faster too) than my previous carbon bike.

That said, I'm officially old (60) and a bit slower than I was 20 years ago. I still roll along at 30 to 35kmh pace and 27kmh average over 50km mildly hilly country though.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
And for the £3000 one of these
1721059909028.jpeg

Top Bottom