HR Zones and Apple Watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daverave

Veteran
Hi All,

I have an apple watch which seems to monitor my heart rate quite accurately, but I'd like to use it for Heart Rate zone training plans. I have cyclemeter but it is currently unable to read the heart rate from the watch. Any idea if there are any apps supported by apple watch that will track heart rate and provide heart rate zone perhaps by announcement?

Cheers

The heart rate sensor is locked down by Apple.

ONLY the Apple fitness app can read data from the built in heart rate sensor. If you want heart rate information in any other app, you will need to use a bluetooth chest strap, and bluetooth it to the iPhone.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
There are some third party apps that can read and display your heart rate following exercise (one of these is called Heart Graph) but I don't know of any that will display and announce both heart rate and zones during exercise? I find myself having to look at the watch and read the heart rate and mentally work out which Zone I'm in... not very convenient.

Citius

Maybe I'm missing something here, but surely the objective is to remain in whatever HR zone you are targeting? In which case, just work out your upper and lower limits of that zone and stay between them.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
I think some training plans will involve changing heart rate zones during exercise? Much more convenient if an app would display or announce which zone you are in, or even tell you to increase/decrease effort. I think cyclemeter can do this but is unable to read the apple watch HR monitor.

Citius

Indeed, but my earlier point is still valid. At the end of the day, you still need to know your own zones. Try working out your zones as a percentage of your MHR - it means you have to deal with fewer numbers.

The other thing to say is that a 'proper' HR monitor will trump an Apple watch every time, for the reasons you are discovering.

OP
OP
D

daverave

Veteran
Yes, your point is valid. However, to clarify, I'm looking for an app that will announce your heart rate and tell you to increase/decrease effort if you move out of a zone - more convenient than having to check your display regularly and at specific time points.

p.s. I've come to the conclusion that there isn't one compatible with the Apple Watch. And I'd have to purchase a stand alone HR monitor and use with cyclemeter for my needs.

Citius

I'm looking for an app that will announce your heart rate and tell you to increase/decrease effort if you move out of a zone - more convenient than having to check your display regularly and at specific time points.

Don't know about an app, but any decent HR monitor will do that, with zone alerts. My Polar FT7 does it. If you are serious about HR training, get a serious HR training aid.

The other thing to say is that HR should only be used as a guide to zones - your RPE is the ultimate arbiter of how much effort you are making, not a number on a screen

Tin Pot

Guru
The heart rate sensor is locked down by Apple.

ONLY the Apple fitness app can read data from the built in heart rate sensor. If you want heart rate information in any other app, you will need to use a bluetooth chest strap, and bluetooth it to the iPhone.

To support that:

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...the-best-third-party-apple-watch-running-apps

It is quite stupid, and only something that Apple would pull. The Watch is a good smart watch but it is certainly not good as a fitness watch, or for sports. My better half has one, and it is quite good, well made, looks neat. But for running, or cycling, there are far better options out there, for far better prices.

Tin Pot

Guru
It is quite stupid, and only something that Apple would pull. The Watch is a good smart watch but it is certainly not good as a fitness watch, or for sports. My better half has one, and it is quite good, well made, looks neat. But for running, or cycling, there are far better options out there, for far better prices.
I trialled it for running and cycling, and my conclusion is that it's pointless if you are heart rate training.

My cheapo Polar FT1, or I suspect any chest strap HRM, is much more accurate and consistent.

Which is really disappointing, I'm very much into apple and minimising gadgets, but you've got to have a chest strap for exercise.

I trialled it for running and cycling, and my conclusion is that it's pointless if you are heart rate training.

My cheapo Polar FT1, or I suspect any chest strap HRM, is much more accurate and consistent.

Which is really disappointing, I'm very much into apple and minimising gadgets, but you've got to have a chest strap for exercise.

The other downside to me is no inbuilt GPS. Meaning to GPS track you need to run with your phone still. In which case you may as well just run an app and save the cash.

There are plenty of running watches with in built GPS for less than 1/4 of the price.

Tin Pot

Guru
The other downside to me is no inbuilt GPS. Meaning to GPS track you need to run with your phone still. In which case you may as well just run an app and save the cash.

There are plenty of running watches with in built GPS for less than 1/4 of the price.

One upside for training/cycling/driving is having directions on your wrist. I've not used it but my wife has, and I'd like it for this.

The non training features are pretty cool as well, not least the sixties style Sci Fi talking into your watch to make calls. :smile:

I've run with my phone for 2.5 years, I don't think I'd want to do away with it for a number of reasons (radio, podcasts, phone) and that's stopped me buying a "proper" GPS watch.

I'm just procrastinating over buying a Wahoo chest strap ~£45 with a wiggle voucher, which is almost certainly the way to go. I believe MMR watch app will display the HR data from that...

Tin Pot

Guru
Don't know about an app, but any decent HR monitor will do that, with zone alerts. My Polar FT7 does it. If you are serious about HR training, get a serious HR training aid.

The other thing to say is that HR should only be used as a guide to zones - your RPE is the ultimate arbiter of how much effort you are making, not a number on a screen

It's slightly off topic, but I'm not sure I agree with that. If you are training your cardiovascular system for endurance then it's the ideal measure. Of course, you might not be, in which case power, rpe, or other measures are more appropriate.

Citius

It's not a measure though, because of the inherent variability in HR. It can only ever be a guide. If your RPE tells you that you are working at 100%, but your HR tells you that you are only working at 70%, your RPE will win every time.

Top Bottom