How should a hub feel spinning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mitxel

Hi! I'm new here, my dad has given me his 2013 Cannondale Scalpel and I'm slowly teaching myself some maintenance and working out what does and doesn't need doing with the bike (he hadn't ridden it for quite a long time and it sat unused). While doing some unrelated work I detached the front wheel and was curious to feel it spin in my hands on the hub.

I was pleased to see it spins so freely that if I lift it without even nudging it, the heaviest part of the wheel gently spins to the bottom on its own - I assume this is a sign the bearings and hub are in great condition still.

But when the wheel spins I feel a little bit of resistance, I'm guessing this is just the feeling of the hub turning over the bearings? But I worry this could mean grit or some other issue. I've never done this before so I have no concept of how it should feel and I'm a bit OCD for details. Just wondering if someone could tell me if that bit of resistance is normal for a well maintained/greased hub and bearings.

Hope this question makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning and welcome @Mitxel
As the hub is running free and easily, it would seem to be ok. If it had grit or other rubbish inside you would hear it and feel it when the hub is turning. Rarely does grit get inside the races, but water can and wash out the grease, but then you would hear and feel that the bearings need some attention.

OP
OP
M

Mitxel

So a little drag is normal? That's good to hear, thank you. I sort of wish I had a brand new wheel I could feel for comparison. I might be too detail oriented sometimes.

What would it feel like if the grease had been washed out or was running out? As it turns all I can hear is the gentle sound of the wheel itself turning, if I spin it fast enough I feel like I can hear a light 'brush' when the valve passes me.

I'm actually working on the brakes because they rub the discs when the wheels turn so wondering about the wheel hub is a side tangent.

I've got the wheel off to change the rotor, I'm waiting for a few tools I'm lacking (notably a funnel) to do a gravity bleed on his shimano xts and have been resetting and cleaning the pistons and changing to fresh rotors while I wait for it to arrive. These fresh parts probably aren't necessary to stop the break rub but dad had the parts around unused so I'm going the whole hog with new shimano rotors and pads. New brake mount too just because the hex thread on the bolts has started to wear and a mount wasn't expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_20240825_084453754.jpg
    IMG_20240825_084453754.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 2

All uphill

Still rolling along
Spinning a wheel off your bike is a good way to demonstrate gyroscopic effects!

It's very unintuitive and may be the cause of what you are feeling.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom