How much for LBS to replace drivetrain and bottom bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
You really have to ask the shop for an accurate quote, but as a ballpark I'd say around £100 - 125.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sure, will have to take it in. That sounds better than expected though so probably worth pursuing. Thanks.

Might be worth calling first? Could be a bit of a faff if it's not rideable, you're not happy with the price or they don't have space/time to do the job quickly, if that's what you're after.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Ask a couple of different places.
Those community bike recycling places seem to do cheaper repairs. Though every time I get a repair done cheap I end up having to get it redone.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
8 speed cassette, chain, maybe chainring (probably don't need that), BB?

Definitely worth learning to do it yourself - faster to sort it than trek it to the bike shop and back!

And cheaper even if you need to buy any tools.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You don't share an image of your bike (just one like it).
Title: "replace drivetrain and bottom bracket"
It may be just the bottom bracket (<£20) and 15 minutes labour to remove/fit - it's square taper (ST).
Why does the "drivetrain" (which includes at least cassette and chain) need replacing?
As @Sharky says, it could be that the crank bolts just need tightening.
It's possible, depending on whether the cranks were loose and then ridden, that the chainset (single?) is knackered (ST interface has damaged (aluminium) crank (square) holes). Tightening the crank bolts will not solve that. Then it's just getting a new chainset (the BB will in that circumstance be all right). Removing/replacing (10 minutes).
As other's have said, your LBS will be able to tell what's awry in a minute's inspection.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's the kind of thing I take on for friends and neighbours; I 'd be confident of saving it well within £100 using parts I have.

If a bike shop replaced BB, cranks, chainset and chain I wouldn't be surprised at a £200 bill.

As others have said it might not need an awful lot doing to get it going again. It's far too good to take to the tip!

Top Bottom