How do I regrease a BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would say a quick question, but I have this feeling it may not be as straight forward as I hope.

Following on from the mess I found in the wheel hubs of our 2 Triban 3's http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-2251210
I was wondering, given the amount of flood water and muddy lanes (including the 1 to our house), how I set about removing the bottom brackets on our bikes to regrease them?

I ask because I have identified an "interesting" noise coming from my pedals area which leaves me suspecting the BB may need some attention as well. The noise being mostly a creaking sound with occasional knocking which ceases the moment you stop pedaling.

thanks

The Triban 3 appears to use a square taper sealed cartridge BB, similar to THIS

They aren't really a serviceable item, but it might be worth whipping the cranks off to clean and grease the spindles and check the BB is tight.

The tools you need will be a CRANK REMOVER, and a BB tool like THIS

avsd

Guru
A few observations.
See here for a decent video. Lots more on YouTube.
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJxZtcE_2BE

1. Hopefully the bikes are young enought for the BB not to be rusted on. If the BB is very stiff use penetrating oil over night, Do this after point 3 and then just squirt/pour oil down seat tube,
  2. A decent/large spanner is a god send. Some people also use a steel tube placed over the spanner as an extension arm for extra leverage.
  3. Taking out the seat post to drain any water inthe frame by turning bike upside down. I was surpised had how much was in my summer bike when I did this last year so not something to do near the dining room table.:smile:
Good luck

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Don't discount the pedals. Most of the times I've had problems with odd noises from the bottom bracket area it has been the pedals at fault. Stripping, cleaning and regreasing has usually cured it.

There was one occasion when a combination of a click a clunk and a creak from the pedals made my brother's bike sound uncannily like Ivor the Engine.:laugh:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Don't discount the pedals. Most of the times I've had problems with odd noises from the bottom bracket area it has been the pedals at fault. Stripping, cleaning and regreasing has usually cured it.

There was one occasion when a combination of a click a clunk and a creak from the pedals made my brother's bike sound uncannily like Ivor the Engine.:laugh:

I have already had to replace the pedals after the bearings failed in them - well something failed after less than 600km - one of them started not rotating as it should, and could easliy be 'wobbled'and they were a sealed unit, so it was a case of 'sod that' and just bought new ones which were a much better quality rather than return them under warranty which would have required me 'booking' the car to drive 20-25miles to get them returned under warranty, so just upgraded them...

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
The Triban 3 appears to use a square taper sealed cartridge BB, similar to THIS

They aren't really a serviceable item, but it might be worth whipping the cranks off to clean and grease the spindles and check the BB is tight.

The tools you need will be a CRANK REMOVER, and a BB tool like THIS
It appears that the BB might be a 115mm axle, 68 shell, taper, but I will need to double check - does that sound right - this is a completely new topic to me! thanks

compo

Veteran
I once had bad noises from BB that stopped when I stopped pedaling. A wipe of grease on the seat clamp and a re-tighten cured it! Took me longer to find the problem than it did to fix it. I would have put money on it being the BB or the pedals.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I have already had to replace the pedals after the bearings failed in them - well something failed after less than 600km - one of them started not rotating as it should, and could easliy be 'wobbled'and they were a sealed unit, so it was a case of 'sod that' and just bought new ones which were a much better quality rather than return them under warranty which would have required me 'booking' the car to drive 20-25miles to get them returned under warranty, so just upgraded them...
Okay, fair enough.
It appears that the BB might be a 115mm axle, 68 shell, taper, but I will need to double check - does that sound right - this is a completely new topic to me! thanks
When you take the old one out it should say on the casing what size it is. If it doesn't for any reason, measuring the axle length & bottom bracket is easiest with a vernier caliper (if you've got one).

Top Bottom