Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I reset two wobbly steps in the garden with a tub of screwfix cement at the weekend. I'd been meaning to do it for a while.

Just needs painting now

View attachment 730849

Took a bit of a long time whilst I figured out quite how to fit the new bits in, even if the execution was easy enough, apart from planing down the thin guide strips, which was a bit fiddly

very cool. is that a fiberglass filler product? I have a rotted exterior window sill that needs replacing, but I might try a repair to hold off the replacement, until we can afford to replace the window too.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
very cool. is that a fiberglass filler product? I have a rotted exterior window sill that needs replacing, but I might try a repair to hold off the replacement, until we can afford to replace the window too.

Not glass fibre, though you
could reinforce with glass fibre or some such I guess. It's a two-pack epoxy resin, presumably somewhat akin to araldite, though sold as a wood filler. Quite expensive, as two tubes (mastic sealant sized) plus a couple of pots of the more liquid two part "primer" was around £80.

D3540C70-58DA-478D-A0ED-B328D6E3362E.jpeg

I've previously used "Abatron" brand from Axminster but now out of stock, so went for this stuff.

Abatron is more of a putty which you mould in your (rubber gloved) hands but less sticky. I think this new stuff (3c) is easier to apply with a putty knife than Abatron.

D3540C70-58DA-478D-A0ED-B328D6E3362E.jpeg
Again there's a two pack liquid primer layer. The primer slightly soaks into the wood and gives a surface the filler will stick to

Both are machine-sandable and can be shaved with a wood chisel once hard.

Despite the cost, I'll be using this kind of stuff from now on. I had very good results on my three floor bay windows a few years back, and it's totally held up.

Also got this two part stuff which is more for masonry and has something like stone dust in it.

A49FBE85-3BB1-4820-A090-979029101BAE.jpeg

6008BBD8-80A9-4B4E-80E2-976F8627CCF8.jpeg

E44C87DB-33B0-4E1A-AC4B-9EF14154659F.jpeg

Not glass fibre, though you
could reinforce with glass fibre or some such I guess. It's a two-pack epoxy resin, presumably somewhat akin to araldite, though sold as a wood filler. Quite expensive, as two tubes (mastic sealant sized) plus a couple of pots of the more liquid two part "primer" was around £80.

View attachment 730945

I've previously used "Abatron" brand from Axminster but now out of stock, so went for this stuff.

Abatron is more of a putty which you mould in your (rubber gloved) hands but less sticky. I think this new stuff (3c) is easier to apply with a putty knife than Abatron.

View attachment 730945 Again there's a two pack liquid primer layer. The primer slightly soaks into the wood and gives a surface the filler will stick to

Both are machine-sandable and can be shaved with a wood chisel once hard.

Despite the cost, I'll be using this kind of stuff from now on. I had very good results on my three floor bay windows a few years back, and it's totally held up.

Also got this two part stuff which is more for masonry and has something like stone dust in it.

View attachment 730946

View attachment 730958

View attachment 730956

that's wild! you're a rock climber!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Great looking gaff Prof.

Thanks, we like it too, though Mrs PP says it's too big, hence more to clean and DIY. And yet we moved from our flat to get an actual guest bedroom (which was full of my tools and such in the flat) and now I'm to clear the ground floor room to make a proper dining room - ergo it can't be big enough!

The best thing is being in the middle of Bristol so everywhere is walkable, whether the main railway station, multiple theatres and other gig venues, pubs etc and yet in 20 minutes we can walk to a deer park. And despite being city centre, we have a badger who visits our garden

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
You may have read my ramblings, but we too have moved into town, also in a 3 storey (is yours a 4?), albeit mine is new and not as interesting on the eye as yours.

We're on the edge of town, but doctors, school etc are an easy stroll and the town centre itself, complete with grade II listed pools of vomit, is a gentle 10 minute ride away. Despite being a country boy I'm quite enjoying it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You may have read my ramblings, but we too have moved into town, also in a 3 storey (is yours a 4?), albeit mine is new and not as interesting on the eye as yours.

We're on the edge of town, but doctors, school etc are an easy stroll and the town centre itself, complete with grade II listed pools of vomit, is a gentle 10 minute ride away. Despite being a country boy I'm quite enjoying it.

I first lived in "the city" (so to speak) when I was a student in Aberystwyth. OK it's really quite a small town, though having a university and it being a long way from a city, makes it punch above its weight as it were. Once I got digs in town rather than campus making everything walkable, I never wanted to live in the 'burbs, like where I was brought up in Cardiff, or a village in my West Wales younger childhood

Bristol is one of those few sizeable cities where living in town proper is actually really good. Our own street and surrounding area is quite a community including student digs, some social housing, rented flats, owner occupied houses and flats, and really quite a good mix of people.

Top Bottom