Hip Bursitis / Greater trochanteric pain syndrome (GTPS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A few weeks ago, just before the end of our big tour, I started to suffer from hip pain, though not cycling, now tentatively diagnosed by GP as this. Have been given physio exercises, but they don’t seem to help and have now given them up as they’re sufficiently painful I think they could be causing more damage.

Initially, it only came on during the night, rapidly easing in a few minutes each morning, but has slowly, inexorably got worse day by day, to the point where I’m no longer able to walk more than a few yards (100 metres is about the limit without having a rest/sit down) – a position I’ve been in for about three weeks now.

It’s generally a dull pain, but if I catch it wrongly, it’s extraordinarily painful, to the point of just immediately collapsing.

I’m also getting more pins and needles and referred pain down my leg, and again, this has gone from nothing to start with to more and more acute.

Cycling is still OK, but I don’t feel safe out, partly because I can’t walk if there’s a problem, and partly the fear of sudden pain eg when putting a foot down at junctions. I’ve been driving to work for the last three weeks, something I haven’t done since pre-COVID.

Am now under care of a consultant, waiting MRI results later this week, but unless they show something unexpected, I’m advised this will just be a “wait for it to get better” and could be many months.

It’s starting to get me down, and I’m getting fat!

Any other experiences with this?

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...onditions/greater-trochanteric-pain-syndrome/

Drago

Legendary Member
Not in the hip, but elsewhere. Had the bursa surgically removed in the end. They can grow back believe it or not, but mine didn't.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has the GP recommended any NSAIDS ? Might be worth something like volterol on the affected area to reduce inflammation. It's a vicious circle that takes time to 'break'.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Has the GP recommended any NSAIDS ? Might be worth something like volterol on the affected area to reduce inflammation. It's a vicious circle that takes time to 'break'.

Pain is internal, so gels don't help. Am on various painkillers, but TBH, nothing seems to make even the slightest difference

Emanresu

Have you posted this question on Mumsnet*? Seems to be the place to learn about all sorts of aches and pains. Such as this

Went to GP after months of hip pain , just one hip. GP told me to take ibuprofen so I paid for a private scan thinking maybe the joint was worn out.
Scan showed bursitis which I’d never heard of so googled. I went back to GP who wasn’t happy I’d had a private scan , she told me there was no NHS treatment available and I’d have to look at private treatment.
I can see two options online, a steroid ( cortisone?) injection or shockwave therapy.

*not a joke

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’ve got private healthcare and the MRI shows inflammation, ask Consultant about a steroid injection.
In the meantime, alternate heat and ice to promote healing and swimming for exercise (crawl not breaststroke or use a pull buoy).
I’ve had bursitis there on and off (more common in overweight women, bingo) , usually ends up going away with time/rest/sports massage/physio

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
See if the consultant will refer you for Acupuncture, contrary to popular belief it is available on the NHS, I know cos I've had several sessions for knee and hip pain. Pretty weird since it isn't instant in fact it seemed to make it worse at first but the next day the pain in that hip was much diminished.

Top Bottom