Hi just joined the forum... stevelew60

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevelew60

Hi folks, I need some advice/expertise. I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro and I have brake squeal front and back which started at the same time.
I've changed the pads twice. first sintered then organic, I've cleaned and sanded the discs and adjusted alignment. I've done this several times now and although the first application of the brakes is silent they both then start squealing.
I've just done all the above an hour ago yet again and still the same.

Would appreciate any help advice, am I missing something?

Cheers
Stevelew60

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Hi Steve, sorry can't help with the breaks, but someone will be along shortly, in the meantime, :welcome: And happy :bicycle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC. My disc brakes squeak from time to time on a ride but once home and I get to have a good look at them, they stop squeaking only to start again in a couple of rides.
If it persists, have a chat with your LBS

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum :welcome:

bikeman66

Hi folks, I need some advice/expertise. I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro and I have brake squeal front and back which started at the same time.
I've changed the pads twice. first sintered then organic, I've cleaned and sanded the discs and adjusted alignment. I've done this several times now and although the first application of the brakes is silent they both then start squealing.
I've just done all the above an hour ago yet again and still the same.

Would appreciate any help advice, am I missing something?

Cheers
Stevelew60
Hi Steve,

Welcome to Cyclechat........a great place to be.

With regard to your noisy brakes, for a start, make sure everything that should be tight IS tight and correctly torqued. Squeal, like any noise, is caused by vibration, so making sure nothing is loose is a good place to begin. Next and probably most likely to help would be pop the pads out of the calipers and apply a fairly generous smear of high melting point copper grease to the back of the pad (i.e the bit that is in contact with the piston. In the caliper). Obviously take care not to get any grease on the friction surfaces when putting the pads back in. I'm 99% sure this will help, if not eliminate, the issue. Let us know how you get on.

OP
OP
S

stevelew60

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Cyclechat........a great place to be.

With regard to your noisy brakes, for a start, make sure everything that should be tight IS tight and correctly torqued. Squeal, like any noise, is caused by vibration, so making sure nothing is loose is a good place to begin. Next and probably most likely to help would be pop the pads out of the calipers and apply a fairly generous smear of high melting point copper grease to the back of the pad (i.e the bit that is in contact with the piston. In the caliper). Obviously take care not to get any grease on the friction surfaces when putting the pads back in. I'm 99% sure this will help, if not eliminate, the issue. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the advice I've now found the problem, piston seals have gone on both front and back calipers - Shimano not yet a year old !!! Luckily covered by warranty so getting repairs done at nil cost.
This is something to look out for, if you apply the brake lever continuously and look at the piston head you'll see it bubbling out.

Top Bottom