Hi from Suffolk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastigan

Quick introduction, 46 year old male, and after years of very very occasional cycling on cheap as chips mountain bikes, I decided to try and get a bit fitter and brought myself a Carrera Crossfire 2 Hybrid bike in July. Started off doing about 6-7 miles which involved 2-3 stops (especially up any sort of incline!!) and was doing it around 45 minutes. Slowly stepped this up to a regular 12 mile circuit around 3 times a week and am now doing 28 miles non-stop in just under 2 hours at around a 14.5mph average speed.

Am generally only cycling once a week now the dark evenings are here, although I am now using a turbo trainer to help compensate for this.

In terms of the bike, I do slightly regret my choice as you cannot lock out the suspension which can be a real strength sapper when you try and get out of the seat on a climb and you find yourself pogoing up and down, but my theory is that is is making me work harder and therefore is improving strength and fitness which was the main objective.

Now getting very addicted to this and find myself browsing cycling websites and am already thinking to myself that it may not be too long before I make that road bike purchase and already have my eye on a Giant Defy!

I tend to cycle around very quiet country roads close to home where there are a fair view rolling hills to make life a bit more interesting. I do use Strava to track my progress and although it is good to monitor the progress made with regards to speed and segments, my main aim at the moment is to build up the miles and stamina.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi & :welcome: to CC
We made a similar mistake, bike wise, back in 2009 when we started cycling again.
Lots of Suffolk cyclists on here.

Danny B

I ride a Defy 1 (2015) which is my first bike getting into road cycling. I can't praise it enough but bike choice is very personnel as others will mention on here.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Top Bottom