Hi from Paisley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shelby84

Hi. Im very new to this CC. On here to chat to others about cycle routes around my way. I often cycle to port glasgow, glengarnock and further down but needing to have a change of scenery. Im not the most confident on the roads as 2 years ago almost had a run in with white van on way to work. I want my confidence back again. I own a mountain bike and in august i purchased a road bike and i have been out on my wee norco every week since. I'm on a weight loss mission too after having my kids iv struggled with the weight they both are 9 and 6 and with me getting older i have this thing in my head telling me to get fit again. So if anyone from around my area is familiar with routes don't hesitate to give me some pointers . Nice to meet you all and look forward to hearing from some of you xxx

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Weight loss is mostly about intake sadly, about 80/20 as a general rule, average people (not loony 6k cal a day athletes) cannot fix bodyweight with exercise alone. Having said that I've lost 20 kg this year and cycling has a large part to play when added to calorie control.
Paisely is a tie pattern to this southerner I'm afraid, although there is a strong Scottish contingent hereabouts to make you feel at home.
:welcome:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Welcome to CC @Shelby84 , from the Costa Clyde.
There's some good routes to be had not far from you. The back roads around Kilmacolm, Houston, Bridge of Weir, Bishopton, and Erskine spring to mind, having been up there on Sunday. Paisley must be the best served train station outside of Glasgow, and Scotrail will take your bike free of charge. That opens up all sorts of possibilities around Ayrshire and elsewhere. There are some good books giving detailed routes - try Googling Fergal Macerlean, or this one by Nick Cotton ....
I3FBSjcwQPjfUVLH-4gEauLY6nTeCHHZ-OITm0EqiRtnN-Poo2BiTGnI8on0ayaZVXqla_MSWRCoi8R7Gea6noyuKNjXqbgE.jpg

The other thing to do is buy some good maps (Ordnance survey maps) of the area and just make up your own routes. It's amazing how many low traffic routes there are out there that you've probably never thought of. Googlemaps is also a useful tool. Or go onto Strava.com and search for Paisley; it will bring up routes that others have done. The possibilities are endless! Ultimately you obviously want to get your confidence back, and the best way to do that is get the miles under your belt, starting with quieter roads. Good luck, and don't let the odd eejit in a car/van spoil it for you. It does happen but most other road users are fine :smile:.

Last edited:

jim55

Guru
What part of paisley ? There's a cracking cycle route ( Tarmac surface ) part of the ncn route I think ,I usually pick it up near eldelsie just near ferguslie park heads out by lochwinnoch ( castle Semple- great spot for a coffee) and down to kilbirnie , no cars and a cracking route

:welcome:

157f9c99dcc1d84a523772d765dfccbc.gif

Cycling will make your heart healthier Shelby. To loose body mass, sadly the only way is to restrict intake to less than output as said previously.
In the belief that one day I may be be a grandmother I also took huge steps in a change of lifestyle.
It was difficult but I focused on the future. Believe me you can do it.
Enjoy your cycling.

Attachments

• 157f9c99dcc1d84a523772d765dfccbc.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 157f9c99dcc1d84a523772d765dfccbc.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 25

RudeNot2

Über Member
Welcome :-) I'll second the cycle path heading south(ish) from Paisley. I usually join at Linwood / Johnstone after cycling over from Bishopton via Kilmacolm and either head down to Dalry / Stevenston or a simple wee loop back round through Paisley and Renfrew back home.

Top Bottom