Hi from Dumbarton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Hi, I'm fairly newish to cycling. The usual overweight ex smoker looking to repair at least some of the damage of a mis spent youth. It's mostly commutes I have been doing up until recently which is around 24 miles in total 3 times a week in summer and twice in winter. I've been doing this for around a year probably a bit more, but I'm now looking to try and improve by upping the mileage and hopefully loosing some weight. I have been on another UK forum, and I did get some good advice on a couple of topics, but not so much on how best to improve, and I reckon it's best to leave no stone unturned in my quest. Thanks in advance.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hello from the other forum. I'll tell them what you said about them ;)

Upping the mileage ain't necessarily an improvement, you know?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Haha, okay. Maybe upping the mileage was the wrong word. When I started I wondered what would give out first, heart, lungs or legs. Turns out its legs by a country mile.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Thanks Mrs M. I may be looking for a bit of advice soon due to a work visit to Aberdeen where I am hoping to take my bike. Can I give you a shout?

Jockulele

Welcome and well done on your efforts so far , just got to keep those legs spinning and you will see improvements.
Lots of good cycling round Aberdeen

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Apparently the new by pass is causing a bit of havoc, so cycling. To work may be out, but if there's plenty routes, I may have to settle for a workout at night.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What what WHAT??!! Dumbarton!!* I lived there until earlier this year (High Mains Avenue and then later a rather respectable street over near to The River City studios with the name of a place in the Vale if you get the jist).

I now live in Balloch for my sins.

There was another member, Tomba who was also from Dumbarton (one of the streets off Alclutha Avenue I think.... Unless it was Geils Avenue) but he seems to have left now (unless I have his name wrong). I also used to see a woman on a lovely looking Mixte riding about, I told her of this site, but I have never seen her on here as far as I know.

Anyway, ride on! I am just getting my bikes sorted out after having them in storage, etc.

Oh and as for Havoc, I thought at first glace you were referring to the place, not, I presume the bypass in Aberdeen!!:laugh:

* - If you hang about in Dumbarton long enough then you will have @Pat "5mph" threatening to ride out and visit you!! :whistle::laugh:

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. :welcome:. Using my fitness pal ap is a good way to count the calories You are eating. The usual advise is eat less and exercise (or move ) more.

Walking as well as cycling combined are a good way of exercising. Don't become obsessed though. Gradual loss of weight is the way to go. Good luck.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Thanks for the welcome. @Mad Doug Biker I'm never far away from Balloch. Obviously the flat level bike track between us was just too inviting for me to knock up some more miles. Now my new favourite is my house to Luss and back. I reckon there isn't a flatter 50 miles in the UK.:becool:

@Pat "5mph" I would love my wife to get a bit more involved with cycling but she seems happy just to tag along with me now and again.

@BrianC Thanks Brian. Chances are I may have ran in to you at some point already if you use the bridge. I work at Inchinnan and use the bridge all the time.

@welsh dragon hanks for both the welcome and advice. I'm kind of getting back on top of things but I used to feel very confident about what was healthy and what wasn't. Then after years of listening to advice I got a bit confused. I'm only now beginning to realise that it's more about diet than exercise alone.

Top Bottom