Hi from an old furry Sloth....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Hi everyone, it's good to be here and I hope I can both give and take to and from this community as the time goes by. :hello:
I confess to perhaps being a little premature in as much as not having a bike yet, actually that's not strictly true as I do have a MTB. It's a 2003 (I think) Claude Butler Cape Wrath 18" frame. I don't really use it as I find it uncomfortable on my shoulders and hands for road use (which is what I plan).
Looking at it as a cup half full though, it's in superb condition!

Anyway, let me rewind a little. I am 57 (13st 5'8") and have been running for over 20 years (not without a rest obviously) but I've never really been a 'serious' runner and only ran for fitness and escaping hordes of lusty woman after my body....ok I may be exaggerating slightly about the women....or perhaps a lot....and...perhaps even to the point of it being a complete lie :whistle:
So, back to the point, as I get older I am finding that running is putting too much stress on my joints and specifically my hips and Achilles, not so much my knees although they do play up sometimes but mainly when my shoes are on their way out.
However, before I commit myself to the Derbyshire home for the old, wobbly, creaky and delusional I thought I'd look at maintaining my fitness (or at the moment getting it back) by way of cycling?
Now as I said my previous experience of cycling was not particularly good s I found it painful and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I expect different muscle groups to play up but I'm talking about serious shoulder burn/cramp and tingling/numb hands. I also felt violated by the saddle after even short rides of around 2 miles or so, at one point it was so bad I almost needed counselling.
I understand that these issues may be due, at least in part to poor set up or configuration of my riding position (although it was set up for me by the shop after the last service) but either way, I think also that a MTB is not ideal for long rides on the road.
So, I'm looking at getting a road bike, second hand and perhaps after Christmas.
I don't know much at all about this hobby/sport so after Googling I think that perhaps an 'endurance' or 'sportive' road bike may suit me as they are apparently configured more for comfort and long distance, mainly by flex in the frame and frame shape angles etc. The downside is that they do seem awfully expensive so unless there are (much) cheaper options or great used deals I may have to re-think.
I'm not after breaking any records or even joining a club, certainly not at this point but I do want to cover some distance in relative comfort.
I am a bloke though so like all us blokes I like my toys and want something that looks decent and isn't too bottom of the range.
So there you are, I'm hoping to annoy you all with stupid questions but don't despair, I fully expect a few stupid answers so we're going to get along just fine :okay:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi and :welcome:

The Cape Wrath might be a better bike than you think if you can sort the pain issues. It'll never be a road bike, but you should be able to ride it reasonable distances in comfort. Saddles are personal, so it may just be you don't match that one. With hands, there's a number of different bar shapes out there. Some with a bit more sweep backwards tend to be more comfortable. Also adding bar ends can help. Slicker road oriented tyres definitely make mountain bikes easier and more fun to ride on tarmac.

Your running background will probably put you in a good place fitness wise. I've known a few runners who have adapted annoyingly quickly to cycling (far faster than I could ever manage the other way). Yes it'll feel uncomfortable using new muscles, but your cardio-vascular fitness should be pretty good.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
:welcome: Good luck in finding a bike at the moment. You might manage to pick up a bargain after Chrimbo when all of the 2 week wonders get fed up and sell what they bought during lockdown. Have fun anyway, it's what it's all about in the end.

Dan77

I wouldn't expect a road bike to be more comfortable than a mountain bike. The position on a road bike is more aggressive and will presumably put more load through your shoulders and hands. You'll also be running at higher tyre pressures which will mean you feel the bumps more. I rode my new road bike for the first time outside last weekend and I could definitely feel that my upper body had more of a workout than it normally would (having been used to riding a hybrid).

You are correct though that an endurance/sportive will be a less aggressive position than a race/aero bike.

You will cover more distance in less time on a road bike but only if you're comfortable enough to.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Hi, I used to ride a Cape Wrath, did hundreds and hundreds of miles on it. The best addition I ever made was butterfly bars and a Brooks saddle. It looked very odd but great bike.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hi and :welcome:

The Cape Wrath might be a better bike than you think if you can sort the pain issues. It'll never be a road bike, but you should be able to ride it reasonable distances in comfort. Saddles are personal, so it may just be you don't match that one. With hands, there's a number of different bar shapes out there. Some with a bit more sweep backwards tend to be more comfortable. Also adding bar ends can help. Slicker road oriented tyres definitely make mountain bikes easier and more fun to ride on tarmac.

Your running background will probably put you in a good place fitness wise. I've known a few runners who have adapted annoyingly quickly to cycling (far faster than I could ever manage the other way). Yes it'll feel uncomfortable using new muscles, but your cardio-vascular fitness should be pretty good.

Saddle?....what saddle?....oh dear...this would explain a lot.....;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. Good luck finding the bike of your dreams. :welcome:. A lot of us have horror stories of getting back in the saddle after decades of not going anywhere near a bike.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Seriously though, I anticipate some discomfort as the bike breaks me in but I am hopeful it will eventually become a very healthy (but expensive) pastime.
I had the same period of pain before gain when I first started running but it is worth it if you persevere.
I need to make sure though that I'm not persevering with pain or discomfort that is not to be expected i.e. because of the wrong bike, saddle, set up etc.
Its a learning curve but a fun one I hope!
Actually, I struggled to stay motivated when I started running but joining a running club helped enormously and was the best thing I could have done. I came on in leaps and bounds after that....ah those halcyon days of being younger and fitter....:cry:

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Not at all! For any new member, the first few posts get held until a Mod lets them through.
It's an anti-spam thing, and shouldn't last long.

Top Bottom