Help with squeaky rear derailleur.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emgray

Hello,
I have a bike which was bought in 2009, used for less than a year, stored for nearly 4 years (inside a house) and then given to me. I've been using it for the past couple of weeks without any issues but after one particularly rainy day the rear derailleur seems to have developed a squeak and I don't know if it's just in my mind but it also feels harder / rougher to pedal now.

I'm currently thinking of getting some wet lube (Finish Line Cross Country Wet Chain Lube) and applying it to see if the squeak goes away. I also think that it might be good to put some lube on after all these years.
What do you guys think?

As for the process, is the one in the below video ok?

Thanks for reading.

GreigM

Veteran
Lube would be a good idea if its been sitting for 4 years.

OP
OP
E

Emgray

With the current weather in England (sunny, warm but with occasional rain) would dry or wet lube be better suited for a cycle that is always ridden on roads?

What makes you think its the RD thats squeaking, even if a it is the RD its hardly going to make the pedalling harder unless the jockey wheels are really caked up, first give the chain a good clean using the mickle method give the rear gears a clean and the RD I just use general bike oil, my chains have lasted up to 7,000+ miles

OP
OP
E

Emgray

The video is titled 'How to apply bicycle chain lube' and I posted it to ask if that's a good way to do it.

I noticed that Halfords sell cycle oil for £3, would this be a decent alternative to the more expensive lubes?

OP
OP
E

Emgray

I ride about 15 miles a day 5 times a week only on roads, so if I buy the Halfords stuff and use the mickle method every week my drive-train will be ok?

BSRU

A Human Being
I ride about 15 miles a day 5 times a week only on roads, so if I buy the Halfords stuff and use the mickle method every week my drive-train will be ok?
Probably just need to clean and lubricate your chain.

OP
OP
E

Emgray

I actually got a good deal on some Finish Line wet lube today and after applying it, the squeak has gone.
So thank-you for the advice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some use chainsaw oil, I believe its the same grade.
I tried it and found it way too thick. It formed gloopy strands round the rear mech as I pedalled, and it was a real dirt magnet. My chain got dirtier, quicker, and was harder to clean. The only good things about it are that it is cheap, and it would take monsoon-like rain to wash it off your chain mid-ride!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Remove the chain and then you can assess the state of the rear derailleur. The jockey wheels should turn without much resistance, if they feel gritty or stiff then the jockey wheel bearings may need to be cleaned and regreased, be mindful not to mix and muddle the two wheels as their form and function are slightly different.

I tried it and found it way too thick. It formed gloopy strands round the rear mech as I pedalled, and it was a real dirt magnet. My chain got dirtier, quicker, and was harder to clean. The only good things about it are that it is cheap, and it would take monsoon-like rain to wash it off your chain mid-ride!
I just use normal 3-1 type, though I think what I currently use is slightly thinner. My last chain 9sp KMC 9-73 so bottom end of the range shows no wear after 3,000 miles or so, and a previous 8sp did 7,000 before I upgraded to 9sp, I will be putting on some 105 10sp a little later (9sp Sora failed at the weekend) so yet another chain, so they are not getting chance to wear out at the min

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just use normal 3-1 type, though I think what I currently use is slightly thinner. My last chain 9sp KMC 9-73 so bottom end of the range shows no wear after 3,000 miles or so, and a previous 8sp did 7,000 before I upgraded to 9sp, I will be putting on some 105 10sp a little later (9sp Sora failed at the weekend) so yet another chain, so they are not getting chance to wear out at the min
The chainsaw oil that I tried was as thick as honey is at about 7 or 8 degrees C!

Top Bottom