Help with mudguard sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
I am after a set of mudguards for my bike (Trek Domane), this bike has mudguard eyelets.
I really like the look of some of the SKS road mudguards, but these look like they strap around the frame rather than using the eyelets.
I also noted SKS do some nice looking mudguards with eyelet fittings for 28/29er wheels.
This is probably a really stupid question but is 28/29 the same as 700c? Would these 28/29 mudguards fit my bike with 700c wheels?

Failing that, can anyone suggest a decent set of matte black mudguards with eyelet fittings (with black bars :okay:) that would fit a 700x32c tyres?

Thanks!! :smile:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Dont Trek make their own range of mudguards (Bontrager) which I'd imagine are designed to fit Trek bikes...

Edit e.g. https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bo...Q7eQgl9_O5jTsn01OQp2WTTs6Wk8GwOUaAqT9EALw_wcB

Clip-on guards are okay but don't give much coverage and don't save much weight over fixed alternatives. They can also be a pain if they start moving around. If your aim is stay drier then go with full coverage fixed guards; once they're set up (stays set and trimmed etc.) it doesn't take long to get them on/off the bike.

SKS guards are my go-to for most bikes. The SKS included fitting hardware is excellent and covers most needs and spares are readily available. Cheaper fixed guards are generally more hassle than they're worth.

Rule of thumb for guard size is that profile width should be 8-10mm wider than your tyre's actual inflated width on your rims, not the tyre manufacturer's stated spec as it can differ hugely. You might go tighter with road tyres but need to ensure the stay-mounts/bridges don't foul the tyre, and if you've got flexi rims and/or are a watt monster you might get more tyre-rub when you're caning it.

Biggest challenge with fixed guards on road bikes (besides eyelets) is tyre-frame clearance. You might assume that Bontrager's offerings would allow for a given model/size etc. but I've no first hand experience.

As for black stays, SKS do offer matt-black stays for some models as an add-on. Failing that, there's always a black Sharpie

SKS Bluemels range had black bolt on chromoplastic guards with safety release with size 28"/46 suitable for 32mm tyres.
There is a reason why everyone pregers SKS, they are tough, durable, safe.

Top Bottom