Help with a garmin edge please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baby-boop-boops

I have a garmin fenix 6s, I would love to have a power meter to get a vo2 max and a daily suggested workout but it's too expensive for me. So I've started a garmin training plan and I've been strapping my watch around my handle bars so I can see that I am within the target hr zone but I would prefer a bike computer instead of strapping my watch onto the bike. I want to be guided with my biking so that I don't over do my workouts or under do it too. I like to see all my stats on garmin connect training status recovery etc.. My question is which edge device would be suitable for my needs? any advice would be much appreciated.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
edge 530/540 ?

si_c

Guru
Also, if you're not interested in using Power Meters in the future then the Edge Explore 2 might be an option - it has a slightly larger screen than the Edge 530 and 130 but strips away a lot of the complicated training features and simplifies the menu's and the available training metrics that most (myself included) don't use on the Edge 530 and above.

Aside from not being able to use a power meter and having more options on the dashboard on my Edge 1030+, there's not much between my Dad's Explore2 and it.

That being said the 530 isn't dissimilarly priced where the Explore 2 doesn't seem to be on offer much, so might be worth trying to get a look at one before making a final decision.

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

Also, if you're not interested in using Power Meters in the future then the Edge Explore 2 might be an option - it has a slightly larger screen than the Edge 530 and 130 but strips away a lot of the complicated training features and simplifies the menu's and the available training metrics that most (myself included) don't use on the Edge 530 and above.

Aside from not being able to use a power meter and having more options on the dashboard on my Edge 1030+, there's not much between my Dad's Explore2 and it.

That being said the 530 isn't dissimilarly priced where the Explore 2 doesn't seem to be on offer much, so might be worth trying to get a look at one before making a final decision.

Thanks so much for your reply😊 I really like the look of the explore 2 and the size of the screen, do you no if I would be able to use the garmin training plans on it... I have the garmin fenix 6s watch and I'm quite happy with the metrics I receive from that. I wonder if the metrics would be the same as my watch. Thanks again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks so much for your reply😊 I really like the look of the explore 2 and the size of the screen, do you no if I would be able to use the garmin training plans on it... I have the garmin fenix 6s watch and I'm quite happy with the metrics I receive from that. I wonder if the metrics would be the same as my watch. Thanks again.

I think the answer to that is no.

If you look at the 530 manual there's a section on "Using Garmin Connect Training Plans" (p12). There's no such section in the explore 2 Manual

530: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge530/EN-US/Edge_530_OM_EN-US.pdf
Explore 2: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...58973BC1829/EN-US/Edge_Explore_2_OM_EN-US.pdf

OP
OP
B

baby-boop-boops

I think the answer to that is no.

If you look at the 530 manual there's a section on "Using Garmin Connect Training Plans" (p12). There's no such section in the explore 2 Manual

530: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge530/EN-US/Edge_530_OM_EN-US.pdf
Explore 2: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...58973BC1829/EN-US/Edge_Explore_2_OM_EN-US.pdf

Thank you 😊 That's a shame 😔 I only started using the training plan a week or so ago instead of daily suggestions that I can't have with no power meter lol...

si_c

Guru
Unfortunately the 1030+ isn't cheap - I got mine for the larger screen and better battery life - but I also managed to get it on Cycle 2 Work so it was a bit cheaper.

Top Bottom