Hello.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Hi! My name is Dave - hail from deepest darkest Wales.

Well the last time I got on a bike was... Err... 1997?

I was 13/14 ish when I stopped and missed it. Well 17 years later, many pies, beers and a solid IT career later means I'm a bit weighty :-)

I live near a cycle track and decided to buy a new bike which I collected today. I am already prepared for the collective groan in the room when I say I bought an Apollo bike from halfords. Sorry about that :-) but it is difficult to really determine what a decent bike is and not spend too much money.

Anyway for what I want - flat easy riding - nothing too demanding - my focus is to lose weight to start with - I'm happy it will suffice.

I can always upgrade later if I decide that I will indeed keep up with it.

So - that's my story. Hoping to pick up some good tips.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi! My name is Dave - hail from deepest darkest Wales.

Well the last time I got on a bike was... Err... 1997?

I was 13/14 ish when I stopped and missed it. Well 17 years later, many pies, beers and a solid IT career later means I'm a bit weighty :-)

I live near a cycle track and decided to buy a new bike which I collected today. I am already prepared for the collective groan in the room when I say I bought an Apollo bike from halfords. Sorry about that :-) but it is difficult to really determine what a decent bike is and not spend too much money.

Anyway for what I want - flat easy riding - nothing too demanding - my focus is to lose weight to start with - I'm happy it will suffice.

I can always upgrade later if I decide that I will indeed keep up with it.

So - that's my story. Hoping to pick up some good tips.
You've done the right thing! - if you find that cycling is for you then you will upgrade when you need to. I started out by walking into an Evans and buying a Pinnacle, cheapish and bog standard. I still use it all the time for utility cycling and I'm much fitter!

Welcome and I hope you find good advice.

:welcome: to CC.

Many a CC'er will have started, (or re-started) their cycling life on an Appollo bike, so don't apologise for it, use it, abuse it, (within reason of course), and when the time comes upgrade/replace it.

By then you'll be fitter and faster and be bursting with knowledge of all things cycling related, and then when you will realise you can't decide on make, groupset, wheelset or retailer you will come to realise that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ;)

I'm not prying into your weight, but as you say you want to lose some you might fancy checking out our resident, (although currently M.I.A - we miss you pal) @gb155's BLOG.

39 stone to 13 stone by the power of peddling :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Haha yes I will do my worst to it :-D

Actually it was seeing that blog that helped me decide that I could take it up again. I'm about 19st ish at the moment and am on low carb diet so exercising will help of course and it was something I always enjoyed as a child so decided it would be fun to do it now and gets me out the house. I work 12 hour shifts so quite accustomed to staring at the same proverbial 4 walls :-)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Croeso i CycleChat Dave. :welcome:

Could have been worse - you could have bought a Hawk (like I did to replace my second Apollo :crazy:).

Hopefully it'll do the job and make you love cycling again, then any quality bike you move to next will be joy on wheels.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom