Hello there, newbie from London here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peachbrella

Newbie here!

I'm extremely new to cycling after attending a couple of brilliant council-funded classes over the past months. I'm looking to start commuting to work and university - I'm building up to it while I practice with shorter trips around the neighbourhood :smile: I'm very happy to have found this place!

Mattonsea

Über Member
Hi ,:welcome:. Just don't mention greeting other cyclists or the pros and cons of wearing a helmet , and you should be fine:laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Newbie here!

I'm extremely new to cycling after attending a couple of brilliant council-funded classes over the past months. I'm looking to start commuting to work and university - I'm building up to it while I practice with shorter trips around the neighbourhood :smile: I'm very happy to have found this place!
Watcha.

And welcome to cyclechat.

Plenty of us on here that commute through and around London (me included). You'll not be short of advice.

I'df you have any questions that the course didn't answer, we may be able to help with the guIde that we produced to assist riders thinking of commuting through cities.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

J

OP
OP
peachbrella

peachbrella

Hi ,:welcome:. Just don't mention greeting other cyclists or the pros and cons of wearing a helmet , and you should be fine:laugh:

Thank you kindly :smile: and... I'm not sure what's up re: greeting other cyclists...?! Should I know?!
:welcome: Are you heading to the Freecycle in central London on Saturday? :smile:

I signed up for it but I'm not sure if I'll actually go! I'm pretty intimidated at the idea of getting there in the first place. I'll see how the rest of my week goes and I'll gauge for myself whether to try :smile:

Watcha.

And welcome to cyclechat.

Plenty of us on here that commute through and around London (me included). You'll not be short of advice.

I'df you have any questions that the course didn't answer, we may be able to help with the guIde that we produced to assist riders thinking of commuting through cities.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

J

I have been browsing this forum for a bit and I have downloaded this already! It's so impressive and neatly laid out. Thank you very much for going to all the trouble - I'm sure I'll go back to it often when I get better at this :smile: Right now I just cycle through really quiet streets, and if I'm not keen on something I'll just get off the bike and walk it (wimpy but safe I reckon!).

Welcome aboard! London is a fantastic place for cycling.

I hope it is! All the London bike theft threads are making me feel slightly paranoid about leaving my (borrowed) bike anywhere in public (which I guess is a good thing?)...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I signed up for it but I'm not sure if I'll actually go! I'm pretty intimidated at the idea of getting there in the first place. I'll see how the rest of my week goes and I'll gauge for myself whether to try :smile:
There are relaxed feeder rides organised by LCC from most boroughs, or if you (or anyone else) is arriving into King's Cross or St Pancras about half ten and would like to join our pootleton, then send me a message and we'll sort it.

Right now I just cycle through really quiet streets, and if I'm not keen on something I'll just get off the bike and walk it (wimpy but safe I reckon!).
Not wimpy. There are some junctions in London that I'm still not keen on riding. Try to dismount somewhere safe, though: I've seen people get in a right pickle jumping off their bikes when the lights turned green and struggle to reach the footway. If you've already reached a junction, unless the pedestrians are still crossing, it's probably better to pick an exit (any exit), go a little way in and stop there, then go back.

All the London bike theft threads are making me feel slightly paranoid about leaving my (borrowed) bike anywhere in public (which I guess is a good thing?)...
If it avoids the bike getting nicked, then probably, yes.

OP
OP
peachbrella

peachbrella

There are relaxed feeder rides organised by LCC from most boroughs, or if you (or anyone else) is arriving into King's Cross or St Pancras about half ten and would like to join our pootleton, then send me a message and we'll sort it.

Not wimpy. There are some junctions in London that I'm still not keen on riding. Try to dismount somewhere safe, though: I've seen people get in a right pickle jumping off their bikes when the lights turned green and struggle to reach the footway. If you've already reached a junction, unless the pedestrians are still crossing, it's probably better to pick an exit (any exit), go a little way in and stop there, then go back.

Hey mjray, thanks for the offer, much appreciated! I reckon I won't be able to make it to King's Cross at half ten, I have guests leaving my house at around that time and I need to hang around to see them off. But hopefully I'll manage to get there at some point later on. I'm considering signing up for a led ride or two in the near future as well.

That's very smart advice, I will keep it in mind from now on. :smile:

Thank you kindly! :smile:

Dmcd33

Are you just able to turn up to the Freecycle even?

I just looked on the website and it was telling me to register.

From what it sounds like, this is only for the photographers to snap you as you ride?

OP
OP
peachbrella

peachbrella

Are you just able to turn up to the Freecycle even?

I just looked on the website and it was telling me to register.

From what it sounds like, this is only for the photographers to snap you as you ride?

I think you are supposed to register, but I also believe that you can do this at any time you would like and then just print off whatever number is generated? That's what I did anyway. I'm not clear on the photographers bit, but it does ring a bell.

EDIT: yeah, mjray has it in the post below.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom