Hello newbie here from Brentwood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G.word

I'm a little out of touch cycling wise it's been a while but really want to get into it and start to exploring! Would really appreciate some direction on where to start as I need to work on my fitness levels first and build up. Thank you Claire

Shaun

Founder
Hello Claire - welcome to CycleChat. :hello:

Have you got a bike yet? If not, post in the What bike? forum with some basic details about your budget and the type of cycling you want to do and you'll get some good advice and suggestions.

Also, have a look in our Beginners forum and ask any questions you have about getting started - don't worry about whether it might have been asked before, we all start our cycling journey somewhere.

And for general community chit-chat pop over to the CycleChat Cafe.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
G.word

G.word

Thank you Shaun... I'm hoping I'll get some kind of reply from my post... Would really like to start with an easy group this weekend. Maybe the word Brentwood has put people off!? lol

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Claire and welcome. You dont need to join a club, as Groucho Marx famously said 'I dont want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!'.If you haven't cycled much before just start with some local routes of five or six miles and gradually build up. Take it at your own pace, it'll be tough at first but you'll soon be doing distances you couldn't previously have imagined. Maybe you could find a like minded person locally and team up for rides.
If you do fancy a club ride I see Essexroads have an event on 16 July starting in Billericay:
http://www.essexroads.com/events/sunday-club-ride-2017-07-16/
There's also a club in Brentwood.
Good luck, any other questions please ask.

cm2mackem

Über Member
Claire, not sure which end of Brentwood you are, I used to live behind the High Street, but pop into Yellow Jersey 25 High Street BILLERICAY, they do social rides on both Saturday and Sunday morning

Welcome G.word!

I'm Brentwood born and bred (grew up in Pilgrims Hatch), but live abroad now.

There's some great cycling to be had on the quieter lanes out around Doddinghurst, Blackmore, Stondon Massey, Stock, Billericay, Mountnessing, Margaretting, Ongar, Writtle etc.

There are quite a few folk on here living nearby so maybe there'll be a CC Essex ride somewhere.

Effyb4

Veteran
Hi Claire

I regularly cycle with gateway cycling. They have a leisurely paced ride of around 15 miles every Sunday. You could leave your car in Bulphan school car park. Unfortunately I am away this Sunday, but they are a friendly bunch.

OP
OP
G.word

G.word

Hello Claire and welcome. You dont need to join a club, as Groucho Marx famously said 'I dont want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!'.If you haven't cycled much before just start with some local routes of five or six miles and gradually build up. Take it at your own pace, it'll be tough at first but you'll soon be doing distances you couldn't previously have imagined. Maybe you could find a like minded person locally and team up for rides.
If you do fancy a club ride I see Essexroads have an event on 16 July starting in Billericay:
http://www.essexroads.com/events/sunday-club-ride-2017-07-16/
There's also a club in Brentwood.
Good luck, any other questions please ask.

Hi There! Thank you for your reply, yes I will check it out... Maybe I should build up my fitness first then...

Top Bottom