Hello from Windhover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windhover

Hi,
I've just joined. My interests are post-war British road bikes. I have just finished refurbishing a 1947 Raleigh Superbe. My shopping bike is a 1952 Phillips push rod bike and my touring bike is a 1951 Claud Butler frame with bits from all sorts of other bikes. Here are their photos.

Attachments

• SAM_3373.JPG
    SAM_3373.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 34
  • SAM_3821.JPG
    SAM_3821.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 39
  • SAM_3839.JPG
    SAM_3839.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 35

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. Very nice collection of bikes. There's a very lively Classic and Vintage section on here. Look forward to your contributions.

colly

Re member eR
:welcome:

Rod brakes. Blimey. My dad had a Hercules with rod brakes. He liked living life on the edge.

Salar

A fish out of water
Welcome. :welcome:

OP
OP
W

Windhover

Thanks for all the welcome messages. I've been searching for a year now for a reasonably priced Raleigh Lenton to restore but they seem to be priced outside my pensionner's income. However by luck I was browsing ebay when what was described as a Raleigh racing bike was on with 2 hours to run and no bids. There was only one poorly angled photo and it was clearly a complete wreck - more rust brown than Lenton green but it was complete, unmolested and with enough surviving transfers to identify it as a genuine Lenton. To cut a long storey short I was the only bidder till right to the end when another bidder pushed the price up but I was successful and bought it for £35. I've just brought it home and it seems to be a Reg Harris model with a 1954 hub. I will post some photos when the sun shines again and see what other members advise about its restoration potential. I think its too far gone but I don't like parting out complete bikes and I've got plenty of time to spend on cleaning it up if the rust is not too deep and I can free off the essential bits to dismantle it.
Photos to follow.

Top Bottom