Hello from sunny | rainy [*] Gosport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrtng61

[*] delete depending which minute it is

Hello from Gosport! I've been running the Couch to 5K program for a few weeks, was looking for some low/no impact exercise to do on off-running days, my partner had an old mountain bike in the back of the shed. Bit of oil on the moving bits, some work on the brakes, some air in the tyres later and presto, I was off!

Haven't done much cycling since I was a kid (in Wales - bit more hilly there!), think I'm just rediscovering how much I enjoy it. Certainly a lot more fun than the running!

Mostly cycling on paths at the moment as I'm a bit nervous about traffic. But to get off the peninsula you have to go on some roads, so guess I'll get over that...

mrtng

Norm

Welcome, mrtng. :hello:

I love Gosport, especially around Stokes Bay and around some of the marinas. Could you head out via Lee on Solent and Hill Head to use some of the tracks and trails round Stubbington and Meon to Warsash? It'll keep you off the A32.

OP
OP
M

mrtng61

Thanks both.

Yes, good quiet roads up past Stokes Bay / Lee, Cherque Farm and up, alternatively up the disused railway towards Fareham (alas, becoming a high speed busway which cyclists are supposed to share, eek!) - going to search out routes towards Wickham and then on to the Meon Valley trail next weekend... :-)

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Welcome to the forum. I am just round the corner from you in Fareham.
I agree, your best route out of Gosport is via Lee/Stubbington way. I could offer one or two routes towards Wickham, but my rides take me via the roads.
It won't be long before you find your cycling confidence and loving it :smile:

Ian 74

Hi I like yourself I started riding again down in Gosport on an old mountain bike, apprehensive of the roads. I remember there where some great cycle paths into the town center (old railway tracks).

My longest ride when I was down there was from gosport to the hospital in portsmouth, it was about 11 maybe 13 mile? Sorry it was about 10 years ago... There was a big hill, rain wind etc, when I got home I was knackered straight into a hot bath where to my amazement the big muscle in my calf proceded to dance around in spasm for half an hour. I wouldn't have credited then what I am able to do now on a bike, I have been a slow learner though... It took a further 5 years to get a road bike and three further years to put clip in pedals on my bike.

I still have that battered mountain bike and use it for pootling around town... Happy days.

Welcome to the forum
wave.gif

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride

Hello from Gosport! I've been running the Couch to 5K program for a few weeks, was looking for some low/no impact exercise to do on off-running days, my partner had an old mountain bike in the back of the shed. Bit of oil on the moving bits, some work on the brakes, some air in the tyres later and presto, I was off!

Haven't done much cycling since I was a kid (in Wales - bit more hilly there!), think I'm just rediscovering how much I enjoy it. Certainly a lot more fun than the running!

Mostly cycling on paths at the moment as I'm a bit nervous about traffic. But to get off the peninsula you have to go on some roads, so guess I'll get over that...

mrtng

Another Gosport rider. I am not alone
wave.gif

I have lots of roots but 100% involve 1 road or another. It will take time but once you gain the confidence there are some great local rides as well as a shed load out the back of Fareham.

Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Sauce pot

Regular

mrtng
I'm in Lee on Solent and I must admit some of the roads around here scare me to death. But the bus route from Gosport to Fareham ( Redlands Lane) is great. I have parked the car in Titchfield got the beast out then cycled up towards Whickham way. But if you can get over towards Portsdown Hill there are some great rides that way on.

busman

Hello and welcome to the forum.

:welcome: I often do a 100 Km ride from Southampton to Goodwood and back. I usually see a few cyclists from Gosport and Pompey etc, on the stretch from Cams hill, to Chichester. There are a lot of nice routes all around that area.

mrtng

PM me... or discuss here as you feel appropriate on here.

There are some methods of getting out of the peninsula without the main roads.

Where do you want to get to (and from)

Top Bottom