Hello from Shrewsbury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayng

Hi

I joined the forum to get ideas for a 3 day bike ride next Spring with friends. We're enthusiastic and fairly fit but novices to cycling and don't live near each other any more. The idea is to meet once a month for a long ride, train separately the rest of the time and get together for a 3 day challenge in Spring/early summer 2017. It's a good excuse to get together and we like the idea of completing a challenge but think the Coast to Coast will be too much.

Cheers

Jayne

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Welcome!

On the basis of no evidence whatsoever...

I bet you're underestimating yourselves and C2C is well within your capabilities ;)

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome, as part of your training can I suggest a ride out to The Royal Hill Inn at Melverly. The place is great, the food great, the staff great and the beer great, the owner also is a very keen cyclist.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome, as part of your training can I suggest a ride out to The Royal Hill Inn at Melverly. The place is great, the food great, the staff great and the beer great, the owner also is a very keen cyclist.

I did a ride out to the Royal Hill earlier in the year and I can verify that it is a terrific pub for all the reasons mentioned in the post above. I can also strongly recommend the canal-side cafe at Maesbury, which is very popular with cyclists, especially at the weekend - all the food is home-made. If you order tea, you get proper loose-leaf tea and and extra jug of hot water . . . the cakes are ace !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The biggest difference for a multi day ride IMO is that you should be very comfortable on the bike. Especially any saddle or reach pains, as they'll be bad after day one but could prevent you getting on a bike or being safe on it by day three.

I did two tour-like- distance rides on consecutive days a while before going on a six day tour earlier this year and changed my saddle as a result!

screenman

Legendary Member
I did a ride out to the Royal Hill earlier in the year and I can verify that it is a terrific pub for all the reasons mentioned in the post above. I can also strongly recommend the canal-side cafe at Maesbury, which is very popular with cyclists, especially at the weekend - all the food is home-made. If you order tea, you get proper loose-leaf tea and and extra jug of hot water . . . the cakes are ace !

Or even the social centre at Trevor on a Saturday and Sunday, sandwiches £1 cake £1 tea/coffee £0.50 even the tightest cyclist would be tempted.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Or even the social centre at Trevor on a Saturday and Sunday, sandwiches £1 cake £1 tea/coffee £0.50 even the tightest cyclist would be tempted.

I didn't know there was a social centre in Trevor . . . I know The Sun and I've been to the Prospect Garden tea room - possibly the hardest hill I've ever cycled up . . . or down.

screenman

Legendary Member
I didn't know there was a social centre in Trevor . . . I know The Sun and I've been to the Prospect Garden tea room - possibly the hardest hill I've ever cycled up . . . or down.

From Llangollen take the left hand road that drops down hill and it is on the left.

screenman

Legendary Member
Is it near the Australia Arms ?

You know the area well - do you live locally ?

We just have a habit of finding nice eating holes, I live in Lincolshire but pop over your way at least once a year.

Make sure you go see the knife Angel just outside Oswestry.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
We just have a habit of finding nice eating holes, I live in Lincolshire but pop over your way at least once a year.

Make sure you go see the knife Angel just outside Oswestry.

Ha ha, for a minute, I thought you were talking about a pub; yes, I've seen the knife Angel - might be a good name for a pub.

You must like this area, to visit at least once a year.

Top Bottom