Hello from Leeds, New Farnley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey guys,

Thought I might say hello, it's has been about 10 shameful years since I last picked up a bike, until this weekend...

I recently started a new job in Bradford and the traffic jams have driven me bonkers. Having seen other cyclist zipping past has renewed my interest in biking!

I have a 9 mile commute on some busy roads in Bradford, but they are so congested I'd be mad not to try biking to work. Just kicking myself for not getting into this before when my commute was 4 miles :banghead:

I've dusted of my mum's old hybrid that is about 5 years old, I figured it was just collecting dust so I might as well pinch it from her garage (don't tell!). The chain needed lubing and tyres required pumping up but otherwise it is seemingly in mint condition and has served me well so far. I've covered 15 miles since Saturday and am wondering why I ever retired in the first place (... hint: I got a drivers licence)

Seriously considering investing in a road bike, but will see how this one gets me to work, hopefully within the next week or two. I still need a few essentials (rain coat, spare inner tubes, LED lights etc) but I can't wait. 9miles seems daunting, but I managed 6.5 today and felt like I could keep going a while longer.

Watch this space.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome: @dutchcyclist

They're building the new cycle superhighway between Leeds and Bradford which will help.

I commute to Leeds but sometimes take the long route via Tong Lane which is much quieter. It all depends where exactly in each city you're going from/to.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I'm situated to close Tong road, but my destination means I can take either Tong Lane or head down Leeds Road. I have heard about the super highway which is great news but I didn't know it was definitely going ahead. I guess we are still some way from that being finished (summer 2015 with inevitable delays :tongue:?)

Top Bottom