Hello from hilly Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow Cyclista

Hi all, I've been commute cycling all my life but just over a year ago went to watch hubby finish the Dartmoor Classic sportive....it changed my life! As an older bird in my 60s I was resistant to lycra and drop handlebars, but seeing so many ladies my age finishing a gruelling sportive in lycra, wearing broad grins and riding drop handlebar bikes...I thought..." that looks fun! And I could do this!"

Next thing I knew, I'd gone to my local bike shop and bought a Trek road bike...and lycra and gradually started putting in some miles. This year the Dartmoor was my first sportive and last weekend I did my second...the Cornwall coast and clay, my furthest distance and elevation in a day at 44 miles and about 3400ft.

That's where I am now, loving my cycling, thinking about maybe getting a carbon bike but still getting on ok with my present one. It's very hilly down here though and every little thing to get up a hill apart from a motor, helps lol!

So glad I came across this forum. Glad to make your acquaintance.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi. :welcome:
I am in Cornwall too, not loving the hills but gradually getting to grips with them.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Welcome! That's a hilly bit of the world, but think of the joy in the phrase "what comes up, must come down". The most fun descents are those that are hardest earned.

Hope you enjoy your time at CycleChat.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Grockles are what we called tourists where I used to live. Emmets down here, Grockles are beginner surfers, I am told. Having to rethink my terminology now ^_^
Tourists in Devon - Grockles
Tourists in Cornwall - Emmets
Beginner surfers - Groms
HTH

Welcome to the forum KC. :okay:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi all, I've been commute cycling all my life but just over a year ago went to watch hubby finish the Dartmoor Classic sportive....it changed my life! As an older bird in my 60s I was resistant to lycra and drop handlebars, but seeing so many ladies my age finishing a gruelling sportive in lycra, wearing broad grins and riding drop handlebar bikes...I thought..." that looks fun! And I could do this!"

Next thing I knew, I'd gone to my local bike shop and bought a Trek road bike...and lycra and gradually started putting in some miles. This year the Dartmoor was my first sportive and last weekend I did my second...the Cornwall coast and clay, my furthest distance and elevation in a day at 44 miles and about 3400ft.

That's where I am now, loving my cycling, thinking about maybe getting a carbon bike but still getting on ok with my present one. It's very hilly down here though and every little thing to get up a hill apart from a motor, helps lol!

So glad I came across this forum. Glad to make your acquaintance.
Chapeau!
FF (Devonian in exile)

Widge

Baldy Go
Greetings from a late middle aged (well-nearly 60!) convert to drop bars and skinny tyres. I live in Devon...and have just graduated from 'grockle' (less than 35 years living here) to 'blow-in' (40 years plus!!)

I too love to ride my road bike around these mind-bogglingly hilly lanes..and am fairly rubbish at it. But.....

Nil Desperandum

w

Top Bottom