Hello from Gloucestershire !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fatlad

Hello all just popping in to say hello. I have been riding an hold hybrid bike off and on for years now but I am considering a rode bike.

I have a bit of a dilemma about how much I should spend. My initial thoughts were to buy a cheaper bike to make sure I enjoy it and then upgrade if I want to at a later date.

Since then I have been looking at The Focus Kayo 105 that I can get for just short of £900. Now for me is a lot of money to spend on a bike but I figure it will prevent me having to upgrade to soon.

Should I opt for a cheaper option to get me going or just bite the bullet ?

OP
OP
F

Fatlad

Appologies for the spelling my fingers are too fat for this I phone !

endoman

I am similar. About 7 weeks on hybrid and I got the bug.

Bought the focus cayo and love it. Done around 500 miles on it and have no complaints. Working out what I should upgrade first on it!

Go for it. You'll love it.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Go for it - but make sure it fits!
The riding position on a road bike feels very wrong (or it did to me) when you first try one after a hybrid, but very comfy once you get used to it (which doesn't take all that long), as long as the bike fits you properly.

Others on here can give you advice about bike fitting, but if you are buying from a Local Bike Shop (LBS), they should be able to get you one of the right size.

OP
OP
F

Fatlad

The bike will be from Wiggle. I am 5.8" with a 29" inside leg so from what I am reading I will need a medium unless I have that wrong.

endoman

I'm 5 9 with 31 inch and got a medium, I would think you might need smaller as my seatpost isn't extended a great deal on mine, but it is lovely and comfy.

E11a

Hi Fatlad.

I'm in the same situation. I had a road bike years ago but it was stolen and bought a hybrid last year. Unfortunately my road bike shortlist keeps getting longer!

deaksie

Hi Fatlad

if you've made your mind up that's great, but it might be helpful to go and have a look at one or two local bike shops (lbs). I nearly bought mine online but what I would have saved on the actual purchase price i more than got back in freebies (change of seat, accessories etc) from the lbs, plus loads and loads of free advice, help and adjustments as time went on.
remember new bikes normally need a check after around 6 weeks of riding as everything stretches/beds down and the lbs will do that for you for free.

Also, with mine I get a free service once a year for as long as I have the bike

when i did the sums, i was definitely on top buying from the lbs - by miles,

just my opinion, hope you don't mind me sharing. Leisure lakes in Cheltenham wouldn't be a bad place to start?

good luck with it all

L

Top Bottom