Hello from Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobin

Regular
Hi
I have just joined this forum as I have just returned to cycling having bought an old Raleigh Roadster from the 1950s . The idea was to do a little bit of cycling for exercise but before I could get on the road I needed new tyres ,tubes and brake blocks , the bike is all original more or less but I realised the frame had ben repainted as was a slightly lighter shade of green . Then the temptation took over and before I new it the whole bike is in bits and I am respraying the it .
As to getting it on the road before winter sets in , I will wait and see .
At 60 years old this will be a first serious attempt at cycling since I was a teenager , trouble is the arthritis may make any long rides an impossibility , I must admit the work on the bike is a big interest as I just like tinkering with stuff .

Thanks for looking Bob

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
:welcome: And good luck with the restoration. I had an old Raleigh bike which might have been a roadster in the 1980's it was well fast.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Bobin

Bobin

Regular
Hi

I didn't think to take a pic of the bike standing before starting on it , but here is one when I turned it over to get a look at the brakes etc and see if the wheels ran true . A lot of rust on the underside .

015_zpsnbxtjmum.jpg

002_zpsrfgjkef8.jpg

018_zpsjvkemntm.jpg

Bob

Salar

A fish out of water
:welcome:

From another 60+ who has a soft spot for Raleighs.

That's not rust, that's patina ^_^

You might need some new wheels though.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Bobin

Bobin

Regular
Thanks for all the welcomes , I spent some time today on the bike , Been spraying the frame which is OK but the colour is wrong so I will be rubbing it down and getting a custom mixed paint , which the paint merchant can put into a spray can . All the metal work will be cleaned and or repainted . Money wont stretch to sand blasting and chroming so its just a good clean up . Progress is slow , 2 steps forward and on back . The Tyres I bought from Halfords don't fit , myself and the guy at Halfords couldn't work it out , right size but too small for the rim , any way one of the other fellas recommended a different tyre suitable for vintage bikes , so I have to wait till Thursday for them to arrive .

Bob

Hi
I have just joined this forum as I have just returned to cycling having bought an old Raleigh Roadster from the 1950s . The idea was to do a little bit of cycling for exercise but before I could get on the road I needed new tyres ,tubes and brake blocks , the bike is all original more or less but I realised the frame had ben repainted as was a slightly lighter shade of green . Then the temptation took over and before I new it the whole bike is in bits and I am respraying the it .
As to getting it on the road before winter sets in , I will wait and see .
At 60 years old this will be a first serious attempt at cycling since I was a teenager , trouble is the arthritis may make any long rides an impossibility , I must admit the work on the bike is a big interest as I just like tinkering with stuff .

Thanks for looking Bob
When i " tinker " with stuff i usually end up with spare bits. Welcome to CC.

Top Bottom