Hello from County Durham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MY95

Hi guys, new to the forum and live around a 20 minute drive from Durham, my bikes:

Had a boardman mtb comp hardtail 2013 since nearly new and have upgraded to pacenti wheels, sram x7, deore front brakes etc etc, regularly gets abused at Glentress and other 7stanes and some local trails.

Just bought myself a 2013 boardman comp hybrid and do a lot of road miles on it, use it as a road bike and love the flat bars! Only upgrades to that so far are some rubino pro 700x28c tyres, makes a big difference from the cheapo wire bead zaffiros!

Looking for some advice on upgrades for my hybrid (mainly for weight saving and looks):

Upgraded forks = not sure on weight of current forks but want something lighter! carbon forks are hard to come across in my price range and disc only (under £100) so the kinesis crosslight disc weigh around the 700g mark and are £65 new but are aluminium, worth the upgrade/any good? java carbon chinese forks look good and a few seem to use them so thats another idea? or any other suggestions? boardman hybrid disc ones are very difficult to come accross 2nd hand although would be what id probably prefer (dont come in white which is an issue!)

Wheelset = mavic aksium disc or something similar if anyone has any ideas?

Groupset = tricky part as id like to go full 105 10 speed, but trying to find a 105 10 speed flat bar shifter is very difficult and also stupidly expensive! so thinking of full XT gearing bar a 105 rear cassette 11-28 or 12-27, would this cause any issues using a road cassette with a full mtb XT gearing?

Original weight of the bike is 10.7kg, currently 10.3kg just by upgrading the tyres and looking to get around the mid 9kg mark to match the pro version and be within a kilo of most sub 2k carbon bikes (easily possible with selective upgrades, carbon fork should shed a lot of weight id think, as will the wheelset)

Anyone suggest any other upgrades?

Current spec is:
Frame: Lightweight alloy triple butted, full smooth welding
Fork: Lightweight alloy
Shifters: SRAM X5
Front Derailleur: Microshift
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X5, 9 speed
Brakes: Avid BB5
Chainset: FSA Vero compact 50x34
Cassette: Sram 11-28 9 speed
Chain: KMC Z99
Bottom Bracket: FSA cartridge
Rims: Alex DP17 Disc
Hubs: Formula Disc
Spokes: Stainless, black
Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 700x28c
Handlebars: cboardman
Stem: cboardman
Headset: FSA semi integrated
Seatpost: cboardman
Saddle: cboardman
Weight: 23.7lbs

A few have suggested an upgrade to a road bike with carbon frame but I cant afford that and also dont like and cant get used to the road bars or brakes/shifters so staying flat bar!

Looking to do a few sportives on it as well as carrying on with my 20-50 mile rides at the moment.

Will upload photos of bikes when I get a minute.

Cheers guys!
Matthew

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

Mrs M

Guru
:welcome:

Top Bottom