Hello (bought a bike what next...!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CBN

Hello,

I've finally done what I've been resolving to do for a long time - buy a road bike. Up to now it's just been sodding around with the kids on a mountain bike.

So today a Giant Defy 5 arrived. From the reading I've done, that's a decent enough entry level choice.

I've already got a few questions...
  1. I need to straighten the handlebars out and adjust the saddle. What sort of tools do I need?!
  2. How do I know what inner tubes to buy as spares?
I'm sure I'll have more questions but I have tried to read up so hopefully I'll be up and running soon...:wacko:

Cheers to anyone who can help me.

LocalLad

Get yourself a pack of Allen keys, will fix most things with your bike.

On the side of your tyres, there will be a number like 700X23c. The 700 is the diameter of the wheel, and the 23 the tyre width. Grab a couple of spares that span that width (eg 23-28)

13 rider

Guru
As above set of Allen keys .specs on bike say tyres are 700*25 so that's the tube size aswel. Saddle height is important search threads on here or YouTube GCN plenty of vids on bike set up . good luck and enjoy the bike

OP
OP
C

CBN

Thanks for the welcome and good wishes guys. I've just ordered the Draper kit, a bottle rack and bottle. Been out on the bike up and down the road to check it didn't fall apart and I got home in one piece. Well, I did fall off the first time I came to a stop but it's the first time I've ever tried clipless!

You've made me nervous about buying the wrong inner tubes. Would anyone be kind enough to link one that will be correct?:blush:

Final question - some of the reviews for Draper kit said you'll also need a wrench to get the back wheel off. Sounds like I should get one of these. Again, no idea what to buy...any suggestions? :blush:

thanks again

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Check your wheels to see if they are quick release or if you will need a wrench, if it is the latter treat yourself to a six inch adjustable wrench as it will come in handy for numerous other jobs as well.

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for the welcome and good wishes guys. I've just ordered the Draper kit, a bottle rack and bottle. Been out on the bike up and down the road to check it didn't fall apart and I got home in one piece. Well, I did fall off the first time I came to a stop but it's the first time I've ever tried clipless!

You've made me nervous about buying the wrong inner tubes. Would anyone be kind enough to link one that will be correct?:blush:
You need to check which values you have either Schrader ( like your car tyres ) or presta and you need a pump with both heads or the correct one
Final question - some of the reviews for Draper kit said you'll also need a wrench to get the back wheel off. Sounds like I should get one of these. Again, no idea what to buy...any suggestions? :blush:

thanks again

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two things to get = one of these, and a track pump - you want to keep your tyres much harder than you'll have been used to. (Keep an eye on Lidl & Aldi - they do them for a fiver every now & then.) And if you don't know how to fix a puncture, learn. (Top tip: when you put the solution on, put it on thin, then give it a couple of minutes to dry out before you apply the patch.)

Other than that, first, make sure your saddle's the right height (heel on the pedal at the lowest point, your leg should be just bent - if it's straight, lower the saddle 1cm and try again), and level, front-to-rear (use a spirit level).

Then pump your tyres up to 100psi, and go for a ride. Enjoy it! (You will.)

OP
OP
C

CBN

Still confused about inner tubes :sad:

700x20-25
700x25-32

Which do I pick if my tires are 700*25?

Top Bottom