Hello & Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Longroad

Regular
Hi,

New cyclist (never been on bike for years) but used to love it.

I'm a very embarrassing 154kg and desperately wanting to do something about it. I collect my bike this weekend and I'm determined to start going out riding on a regular basis. I'm initially doing this once dark to avoid too many turning heads

I am combining this with a change of diet and I'm hoping to post updates here and share my experience.

I did notice the weight watchers thread so may add my details to that.

My main question just now is am I likely to break my bike? I have purchased a Marin bobcat trail 27.5 that I will use mainly on trails. I live near a valley and canal.

I will be taking it easy to start with nothing over the top as I don't want to end up in too much pain too soon and put myself off.

This really is a lifestyle change for me that I will win

Cheers
John

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Welcome. And you're far from the largest CC member; gb155 was on here for a long time.

Start slowly and build up.

OP
OP
L

Longroad

Regular
Thanks for the welcome all. Will search posts from gb 155. Yeah will ask in store but kind of gone round the houses on this and confirmed order. Spoke with a few friends at work who seem to think the bike will be fine but never really thought of coming on here in advance.

dst87

Welcome! I'm also new here (joined yesterday) and in a similar position to yourself, so I can't give any advice. I've popped my details on the WeightWatchers page and plan to update weekly with my progress - it's a good way to keep myself motivated when I'm being shamed on a public forum! :laugh: Come over and join us - the more support the better IMO!

I've still to purchase a bike though, so you're one step ahead. Good luck with it all, and happy cycling :smile:

OP
OP
L

Longroad

Regular
Hi there and welcome to you too :hello:

I have just been reading through your post in the beginners forum and lots of relevant info in there for me also. Yes get my bike Saturday and really looking forward to getting out on it. Like you im looking to chart my progress over the coming months and hopefully I can be a success story like others I have seen out there. Will join you on that page as your right public posting is a definate motivation.

I'm hoping to also get lots of enjoyment from this as I really used to love getting out on a bike but that was a long, long time ago. Picking up the new lingo.....

dst87

I'm hoping to also get lots of enjoyment from this as I really used to love getting out on a bike but that was a long, long time ago. Picking up the new lingo.....

I know what you mean. As someone whose last experience of cycling was as a 12-year old who just wanted a mountain bike, that's pretty much the only terminology I know... well, other than 'wheels', 'brakes', 'tyres'... but you could attribute that to driving! :laugh::laugh:

Learnincurve

Ah now don't go riding in the dark, stick to the canal path in the day when the kids are at school and you'll be alright.

I ride the chesterfield canal and up to rother valley and I see chaps as large as yourself on it every time I'm there, It's usually fairly empty. You just get a few dog walkers, people with buggies and groups of elderly people. Cyclists you see are extremely fit young men in lycra on carbon being overtaken by extremely old men on steel and then the rest of us pootling along at the back. Canal paths aren't really the sort of place you will find the kind of idiot who would mock you because in order to do that they would have to leave the house and get some exercise themselves innit.

OP
OP
L

Longroad

Regular
That's a fair point :rolleyes:

Was just looking at the 39 stone cyclist on you tube, very inspirational. Im sure once I have braved the first few trips I will get over the worry of what people think.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi @Longroad welcome to the forum,you will find that quite a few members used to be overweight this includes me (144.5 kg but now down to 95 kg's) I have seen a local guy on a Marin not sure which model but he looks way bigger than I did and the bike is copping with him and he only ever rides during the day seems to be none bothered by who looks. So good luck eat sensibly and the excess weight will go.

Top Bottom