Happy 35th Birthday Raleigh Cajun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dag Hammar

Here are some photos of my bike that I bought brand new in July 1989 and has been treasured for 35 years.
It came from a one-shop independent and I paid £289.99 for it, which in 1989 was more than I earned in a week.
I have always considered it to be my ‘best‘ bike and it does not get used as much as my other regular bikes.
It believe it was innovative in its day due to the Biopace chainring and it was built in Raleigh’s Lightweight Division.
It is a rare beast, I’ve never seen another on the road and I have only ever seen one advertised for sale on the bay.
Currently wearing my favourite tyres, Marathon Plus in 26 x 1.75.
I hope this is of interest to those of you that like older bikes and please do reply if by chance you own or have had one of these.

Attachments

• IMG_4314.jpeg
    IMG_4314.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4315.jpeg
    IMG_4315.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4316.jpeg
    IMG_4316.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4317.jpeg
    IMG_4317.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4318.jpeg
    IMG_4318.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 41
You must be bored of it after all this time. Tell you what, I'll drop by and pick it up, no bother, and no need to thank me.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Here are some photos of my bike that I bought brand new in July 1989 and has been treasured for 35 years.
It came from a one-shop independent and I paid £289.99 for it, which in 1989 was more than I earned in a week.
I have always considered it to be my ‘best‘ bike and it does not get used as much as my other regular bikes.
It believe it was innovative in its day due to the Biopace chainring and it was built in Raleigh’s Lightweight Division.
It is a rare beast, I’ve never seen another on the road and I have only ever seen one advertised for sale on the bay.
Currently wearing my favourite tyres, Marathon Plus in 26 x 1.75.
I hope this is of interest to those of you that like older bikes and please do reply if by chance you own or have had one of these.

A lovely bike you have there. A 531 frame, from a time when Raleigh were still making quality bikes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Currently wearing my favourite tyres, Marathon Plus in 26 x 1.75. :becool:

Very Nice.:becool:

OP
OP
D

Dag Hammar

Nice bike, and well kept.

Thank you Drago, I have tried my best to keep it in nice condition. The only spoiler, which you can see in the photo of the chainring, happened a short while after buying the bike. The chain came off the chainring and got jammed between the frame and the deraileur changer. I put some Turtle Wax over the damage and I guess it is a testament to the quality of the metal that it has not rusted after all these years.

Top Bottom