Handlebar Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Mrs BC and I had ‘a bit of a moment’ yesterday. We were approaching a junction, both signalled to turn right and positioned ourselves just left of the centre ready to make the turn. Thankfully we remember to look over our shoulders before turning as a car driver decided that was a good time and place to overtake.

It made me think that maybe a camera would be a good idea. I don’t want one of those that sit on top of your helmet, to me they look like the cyclist is looking for drivers to report. So any recommendations, what are people using?

Big T

Guru
Depends on how much you want to spend. I have a ChilliTech bullet camera that fits on the handlebar. I have the Mark I version and the mount is a bit rattley. The Mk II version has a better mount. These are around £40-50. I currently use a Techalogic CF-1, which is a combined light and camera, cost around £105 plus the cost of an SD card. Both of these cameras have a run time of about 4 hours. The Techalogic footage can be viewed via Wi-Fi on your phone or tablet, with having to have an SD card reader for your PC or tablet. The Chillitech doesnt have Wi-Fi, so you have to view the footage via a card reader.

I’ve also previously had a Cycliq Fly12, but these are very expensive and no better than the Techalogic, so I wouldn’t recommend one.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
what are people using?
Drift Ghost X, primary for insurance liability, mounted on my helmet because
to me they look like the cyclist is looking for drivers to report.
thus this ever so slightly reduces the risk of a dangerous manoeuvre IMO as mounted on my handlebar is less visible . Additionally if me and Mrs S
look over our shoulders before turning
then this observation would be evident on the helmet recording, and perhaps work in my favour in the event of a claim.

This does come with the drawback that I'm more at risk of head injury if I do fall head first.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Does the OP have a mirror? In the event that you didn't look round before turning, (and we all do, don't we?) a movement in the mirror can also alert you to something going on behind. Needs no batteries or computer interface, and can be used instead of/as well as any other devices such as cameras. Suggested in the belief that every little helps in the campaign to avoid being in the same spot simultaneously as some unaware, distracted, wannabe tank commander.

Drago

Legendary Member
And you don't want it cracked into your skull if you have a bad off.

OP
OP
Bad Company

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Depends on how much you want to spend. I have a ChilliTech bullet camera that fits on the handlebar. I have the Mark I version and the mount is a bit rattley. The Mk II version has a better mount. These are around £40-50. I currently use a Techalogic CF-1, which is a combined light and camera, cost around £105 plus the cost of an SD card. Both of these cameras have a run time of about 4 hours. The Techalogic footage can be viewed via Wi-Fi on your phone or tablet, with having to have an SD card reader for your PC or tablet. The Chillitech doesnt have Wi-Fi, so you have to view the footage via a card reader.

I’ve also previously had a Cycliq Fly12, but these are very expensive and no better than the Techalogic, so I wouldn’t recommend one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. The ChillTech looks great & not too expensive. Excuse my ignorance but if it connects to an app on my iPhone why would I need an SD card?

To store the recordings on in the camera before you upload to the phone app presumably (that’s how my dashcam works anyhow). The camera itself has no/minimal memory

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My son has a Chillitech on his helmet, it is quite discreet. Not much use after dark.

For the situation you described, I'd also consider a rear camera. A camera on the bars will not be as good at collecting footage as one on your helmet or a rear camera. Also, it can pick up close passes on the rider(s) behind you.

I use a Magicshine SeeMee DV light/camera combination on the seatpost. It does not feature audio or image stablising but has a great battery life and the footage is plenty good enough for picking up registrations etc.
View: https://youtu.be/pbc5i4Uezok?si=jPvD__Yy5DMPgO0n

They can be had for under £100 now.

Top Bottom