'Gunked' tubes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Über Member
I was having a rest whilst out on my recumbent trike, ( having a sit down on a pub bench), when a couple came by, she had a puncture, I offered to help, as I didn't think they knew what they were about, having walked half a mile with a flat tyre, normally that means a junked tube inner tube ,with it wrapped around the rim.
He didn't have a spare tube😒, and asked could he fix it without taking wheel out, he could of course, but not likely.
Anyway, turns out the the tube had Slime 'gunk' in it, my question is can 'Gunked' tubes nbe repaired?
He tried twice, but failed, which is a forgone conclusion, you can't successfully repair a failed patch.
I would have offered my spare, but it was a 700c , mine was a 26" ,at a push, I would have tried, but swapping it for a 700c wouldn't do me any good,
Anyway it helped me out ,taking my mind of my inner dudgeon, I suffer Arthritis in my joints.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Über Member
I was having a rest whilst out on my recumbent trike, ( having a sit down on a pub bench), when a couple came by, she had a puncture, I offered to help, as I didn't think they knew what they were about, having walked half a mile with a flat tyre, normally that means a junked tube inner tube ,with it wrapped around the rim.
He didn't have a spare tube😒, and asked could he fix it without taking wheel out, he could of course, but not likely.
Anyway, turns out the the tube had Slime 'gunk' in it, my question is can 'Gunked' tubes nbe repaired?
He tried twice, but failed, which is a forgone conclusion, you can't successfully repair a failed patch.
I would have offered my spare, but it was a 700c , mine was a 26" ,at a push, I would have tried, but swapping it for a 700c wouldn't do me any good,
Anyway it helped me out ,taking my mind of my inner dudgeon, I suffer Arthritis in my joints.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Über Member
I've had my suspicions about 'Gunked' tubes, if it's gone flat. It's gone flat for a reason. You do need to inspect the entrails as to why?
So in that respect they don't do the job.
I considered swapping my 26" tube for the fat 700c, but a gunked tube is likely unrepairable, so didn't make the offer, I 've done that in the past. ,donated a good tube for some elses duff one, always carry 2 spares, a patched and a pristine one,.
It's a nice goodwill gesture to do. Helping someone with a flat,

si_c

Guru
I wouldn't expect adhesion, the glue requires a good bond between the tube and the patch, I can't see that happening in the case of a tube with some form of sealant in it, as soon as you apply pressure to the patch, the sealant will leak out and create a failure point. I'd go so far as to say that I wouldn't even attempt a repair on such a tube, even at home.

In circumstances like this, trying to be too clever results in your undoing, I can appreciate that for some punctures it can eliminate some risk, which is likely to be reassuring to some riders, but in the long run likely to result in extra expense and/or inconvenience. Better to learn to fix a puncture. It's really not hard, even for someone less confident - especially with quick patches - but even better is to replace the tube and fix later with a cup of tea.

Good on you for offering but you can't always help. I regularly see unprepared riders pushing a bike with a flat - usually cheap MTBs which like you I was unable to help.

I have "gunk" in my tubes

not Slime but a cheaper make that works just as well

I have patched them many times - the gunk works fine with little things but a screw right through the tyre wall was a bit too much for it!

At one point - after the dreaded hawthorn hedge trimming season - I took 7 thorns out of an old tyre and all had penetrated through the rather knackered tyre and the gunk had sealed the tube

not perfect - but they work well within their limits

But if you do need to patch them then you need to clean any gunk off that has tried to seal it as the patch might not stick well to the gunk

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm not a fan of slime tubes. Most of my bikes are tubeless and the ones that aren't use regular tubes. I have helped people clean up and refit tubes after a slime explosion and it has put me right off them.

That said, a couple of weeks ago I was riding with someone who had slime tubes and he picked up a puncture; there was a brief 'psst' and then it sealed - just like a tubeless tyre would. It was pretty impressive and they continued the ride for 3 more days with no further issues.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Über Member
My views yesterday weren't tempered, I still view slime, gunk ,or whatever you might call it with deep suspicion, certainly I 'am of the opinion you can't successfully repair such tubes, much like putting a, patch over another patch, or removing the patch to try again.
Once it's failed, you might as well bin the tube

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Über Member
I will always offer to help ,like as not the offer is gladly accepted, kindness is a courtesy that cost nothing..
I wouldn't offer my best tube, but one that's the emergency 2nd chance, it's rare the casualty will be unrepairable ,, but I'd save the 'offer' till i know what's happened, a blow out wont be repairable , I do at least expect the flat tube in exchange.

Drago

Legendary Member
On my commuter I used to use armoured tyres and slime together. Overkill, but you couldn't afford to be late to work so belt and braces could be justified.

Like EBW above, I once got caught in hedge trimming season. The tube held and I even managed two more days commuting until my rest days rolled around and i could give the matter some attention.

There were numerous punctures a dozen or more, so much so that it took some effort to peel the tube off the inside of the tyre. Nevertheless, it held andndidmits job.

The downside is they added mass where you least want it and it deadened the feel of the ride a little, but if you want the best chance of getting where you're going without having to stop to effect a repair then the combo works.

I have had 2 problems with gunk
a) if the bike is left standing for a while - like a few weeks etc - then the gunk can settle in the bottom and as it is "gunky" it can take a while to re-distribute
If you get a puncture during this time then it doesn;t seal it
b) after a while (a year??) is looses its effectiveness and stops being as fluid - hence some areas of the tube might be un protected
c) (yes - I know) if the tyre looses pressure due to time and the valve has been at the bottom while the bike was standing still - then the valve can be full of gunk and it can take a load of effort of get the air through and push the gunk out of the way

In some cases I may be biased as for a while I was using "another brand" which came in a big bottle and was for off road tyres
after using it for a couple of years I realised it was for construction vehicles with off road tyres - so it was probably a totally different thickness than I was aiming for
(wondered why the bottle was sooo big!!!!!)
but for the last year or so I have used bike stuff and had the same problems

still use it though

Top Bottom